Payroll & Payables Accountant
If you are looking to join a fast-paced and exciting professional sports work environment in a financial capacity, the Vancouver Whitecaps FC is looking for a Payroll & Payables Accountant. The club is built on a model similar to that of most European football clubs. As such, it has multiple lines of business and complex relationships starting from grassroots soccer all the way up to the club’s flagship franchise in Major League Soccer.
With a dual reporting structure to the Vice-President, Finance & Administration and the Senior Accountant, the Payroll & Payables Accountant will:
- Meticulously compile and process the payroll for salaried and hourly club staff. This includes the calculation and tracking of all taxable benefits and required statutory deductions, and year-end tax form compliance.
- Work with Human Resources regarding employee changes such as new hires, terminations and other adjustments.
- Ensure the smooth running of the accounts payable process, including receiving and distributing incoming invoices to appropriate departments for approval, checking and entering approved invoices and expense reports into the system, and generating cheque runs, all in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Together with the Senior Accountant, maintain vendor relations and review all vendor statements to ensure accounts are up to date, and co-ordinate and handle the resolution of any disputes.
- Manage the Club’s expense reimbursement process, including the centralized corporate credit card program.
- Co-ordinate and administer the satisfaction of the Club’s regulatory compliance requirements including, GST & PST reporting, payroll and withholding tax reporting and WorkSafeBC reporting.
- Design and produce periodic reports to help manage payments or other requested financial analysis.
- Reconcile related general ledger accounts and assist in the preparation of necessary documentation for external audits and reviews.
- Consistently evaluate company processes and pro-actively encourage adoption of best practices in this area.
- Complete other duties that may evolve based on the aptitudes and interests of the successful candidate and the needs of the club.
Requirements & Attributes
- A recognized post-secondary diploma or degree.
- Experience processing Canadian payroll in a corporate setting is a requirement for application.
- Enrolled or studying towards a recognized Canadian accounting designation and previous experience in a related role in a medium-sized business setting preferred.
- Experience with Simply Accounting software and an automated reporting package is an asset.
- Highly organized with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving ability.
- General proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
Start date: May 2014
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Deadline for applications: Monday, April 14th at 4:30 pm
To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and achievements, including salary expectations, to:
W. Wait, Manager HR and Administration
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.