MLS Waiver Draft
MLS Cup 2012 may still be less than two weeks away, but clubs around the league already have their sights on 2013.
On Monday afternoon a Waiver Draft will be held by MLS via conference call with clubs having the option to pick up out-of-contract players or players whose options were not exercised and are otherwise NOT eligible for December's Re-Entry Draft.
A list of available players will be released by the league shortly before Monday's Waiver Draft. Any players not selected in the Waiver Draft will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis to teams around the league.
The Waiver Draft order is determined via points per game and playoff performance is also taken into account with teams eliminated at the same stage ranked by their regular season point total.
*Whitecaps FC will be 10th in the selection order after qualifying for the Western Conference Knockout Round in this year's MLS Cup playoffs.
If a team makes a selection during the Waiver Draft, it drops to the bottom of the order for future Waiver Drafts.
Nov. 19, 2012 MLS Waiver Draft Selection Order (2012 finishes in brackets):
1. Toronto (23 pts)
2. Chivas USA (30 pts)
3. Portland (34 pts)
4. New England (35 pts)
5. Philadelphia (36 pts)
6. Colorado (37 pts)
7. FC Dallas (39 pts)
8. Montreal (42 pts)
9. Columbus (52 pts)
10. Vancouver (43 pts – Knockout Rd elimination)
11. Chicago (57 pts – Knockout Rd elimination)
12. Real Salt Lake (57 pts – Conference Semi elimination)
13. New York (57 pts – Conference Semi elimination)
14. Kansas City (63 pts – Conference Semi elimination)
15. San Jose (66 pts – Conference Semi elimination)
16. Seattle Sounders (56 pts – Conference Championship elimination)
17. DC United (58 pts – Conference Championship elimination)
18. Houston (53 pts – MLS Cup finalist)
19. LA Galaxy (54 pts – MLS Cup finalist)