Match info - FC Edmonton vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
88' - VAN - Tom Heinemann
87' - EDM - Colin Miller (head coach)
1.Lance Parker; 3.Eddie Edward, 15.Mallan Roberts, 20.Adrian Leroy, 17.Lance Laing; 7.Chris Nurse, 4.Neil Hlavaty, 18.Robert Garrett (26.Edem Mortotsi 59'), 16.Daryl Fordyce, 10.Shaun Saiko; 9.Michael Cox (6.Sadi Jalali 85')
Substitutes: 23.John Smits, 24.Antonio Rago, 21.Massimo Mirabelli, 12.Hanson Boakai, 22.Michael Nonni
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
18.Brad Knighton; 32.Greg Klazura, 40.Andy O'Brien, 16.Johnny Leveron, 2.Jordan Harvey; 13.Nigel Reo-Coker ©, 28.Gershon Koffie, 31.Russell Teibert; 14.Daigo Kobayashi (29.Tom Heinemann 66'), 11.Darren Mattocks, 7.Camilo Sanvezzo
Substitutes: 39.Simon Thomas, 3.Brad Rusin, 19.Erik Hurtado, 27.Jun Marques Davidson, 23.Kekuta Manneh, 34.Caleb Clarke
FC EDMONTON vs VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC
COMMONWEALTH STADIUM, Edmonton, Alberta
April 24, 2013 - Amway Canadian Championship semifinal first leg
6:30 p.m. PT (TV: Sportsnet - Radio: TEAM 1410)
Whitecaps FC kickoff their 2013 Amway Canadian Championship campaign when they take on North American Soccer League outfit FC Edmonton this evening at the Commonwealth Stadium in the first leg of their semifinal series. This will be the third ever meeting between Whitecaps FC and FC Edmonton. In last seasonʼs Amway Canadian Championship the ʻCaps won 2-0 in Edmonton and 3-1 at BC Place to hold a 2W-0L-0D record. Following this match the teams will face each other again on Wednesday May 5 in the second leg.
REFEREE: Silviu Petrescu. AR1 (bench): Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho; AR2 (opposite): Kevin Duliba; 4th: Alain Ruch
MLS Career: 62 games; FC/gm: 27; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 8; pens: 7
DISABLED LIST: none
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: Omar Salgado (US U-20)
ALL-TIME (2 meetings): FC Edmonton 0 wins, 1 goal … Whitecaps FC 2 win, 5 goals … Ties 0
AT EDMONTON (1 meeting): FC Edmonton 0 wins, 0 goals … Whitecaps FC 1 wins, 2 goals … Ties 0
RETURN MATCHES: 5/01: Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. FC Edmonton, 7 p.m. PT
LAST YEAR (ACC):
4/09: EDM 0, VAN 2 (Hassli 18, Harris 41)
4/16: VAN 3, EDM 1 (Le Toux 75, 88. 90+3; Pinto 54)
- Tonight is the first leg of the Amway Canadian Championship semifinals. The second leg will take place at BC Place on May 1 at 7 p.m. PT.
- In four ACC matches, FC Edmonton has never won and only scored one goal while allowing nine against.
- Coaches record: Colin Miller vs. VAN: P0 W0 L0 D0 … Martin Rennie vs. EDM: P6 W5 L0 D1
FC Edmonton started the 2013 season with three consecutive road matches which included a 1-1 draw against Fort Lauderdale Strikers, 2-1 loss at Carolina RailHawks, and last weekend's 2-0 defeat to Minnesota United FC. Edmonton are currently tied for fifth in the seven team North American Soccer League.
- The match took a decisive turn in the 30th minute when FC Edmonton midfielder was judged to have committed an infraction as his side defended a corner kick, and the hosts were awarded a penalty. Simone Bracalello converted the PK to give the RailHawks a first half lead.
- Minnesota doubled their lead in the 74th minute on the counter attack. Lucas Rodriguez arrived at the far post to slam home a loose ball crossed by Aaron Pitchkolaninto.
- FC Edmonton head coach Colin Miller made one change to the team that lost 2-1 to Carolina RailHawks at WakeMed Soccer Park - Robert Garrett replaced Edem Mortotsi
- FC Edmonton (4-4-2): GK Parker; D Laing, LeRoy, Mitchell, Edward (Rago 66th); M Garrett (Nurse 65th), Hlavaty, Saiko, Knight (Mirabelli 17th); F Cox, Fordyce.
- Last weekend, FC Edmonton lost 2-0 to Minnesota United FC and the Eddies are still looking for their first victory of 2013, after starting the season with one draw and two defeats on the road.
- The Eddies lost right midfielder Wes Knight in the 17th minute after suffering a fracture to his 5th metatarsal in his left foot.
- “If they don’t have the penalty decision then for me, they don’t even look like scoring in the first half,” Miller said. “I thought we were still the better team and looked the more dangerous. I’m just really disappointed. Today was actually a good game, all things being considered. It was two teams looking for a win. I can’t ask any more of the players. If we keep this up, I’m confident we’ll win more than we’ll lose.”