VANCOUVER, BC – For the players, they’re excruciating. For the training staff, they’re a necessary evil. And for the rest of us?
They’re just fun to watch.
Vancouver Whitecaps FC are off to sunny Arizona on Monday, but first they had to undergo their annual preseason fitness tests on Friday at the University of British Columbia.
Fortunately, whitecapsfc.com was there to capture all of the fun.
The team was split up into two groups, defenders/goalkeepers and midfielders/strikers, and each player had to test at stations for speed, agility, endurance, and jumping.
As expected, Erik Hurtado and Darren Mattocks were the cream of the crop in the various speed tests, but there were some other standouts as well – including many from Whitecaps FC’s Residency program.
Like Hurtado and Mattocks, Residency centre back Jackson Farmer finished in the top five in all but two of the seven categories. U-23 right back Ethen Sampson was the next best performer across the board, having finished in the top five in four of the seven categories.
Here are the top five players from each category:
Midfielders and strikers undergo the dreaded Yo-Yo test
ENDURANCE (Yo-Yo intermittent test)
1. Russell Teibert
2. Mitch Piraux
3. Marco Bustos
4. Sam Adekugbe
5. Bryce Alderson
1. Steven Beitashour
2. Mitch Piraux
3. Ethen Sampson
4. Ben Fisk
5. Jackson Farmer
1. Darren Mattocks: 1.61 seconds
2. Erik Hurtado: 1.67 seconds
3. Carlyle Mitchell: 1.68 seconds
4. Ethen Sampson: 1.68 seconds
5. Jackson Farmer: 1.69 seconds
1. Darren Mattocks: 2.79 seconds
2. Erik Hurtado: 2.84 seconds
3. Ethen Sampson: 2.87 seconds
4. Jackson Farmer: 2.88 seconds
5. Carlyle Mitchell: 2.88 seconds
1. Erik Hurtado: 3.91 seconds
2. Darren Mattocks: 3.92 seconds
3. Ethen Sampson: 3.98 seconds
4. Jordan Cyrus: 3.99 seconds
5. Jackson Farmer: 4.01 seconds
COUNTER MOVEMENT JUMP (start from upright standing position):
1. Nolan Wirth: 34.7 inches
2. Erik Hurtado: 32.7 inches
3. Darren Mattocks: 32 inches
4. Jordan Cyrus: 31.7 inches
5. Jackson Farmer: 31.6 inches
VERTICAL JUMP WITH RUN UP:
1. Erik Hurtado: 35.7 inches
2. Nolan Wirth: 34.1 inches
3. Kianz Froese: 33.9 inches
4. Ben Fisk: 33.2 inches
5. Darren Mattocks: 33.1 inches
Are you surprised by any of these results?
Whitecaps FC begin their 2014 MLS season on March 8 versus New York Red Bulls at BC Place. Season tickets start at just $349, subject to applicable fees. The 'Caps also offer a flexible range of ticket products, including half-season tickets ($244), 5-packs ($149), student season tickets ($199), and a youth soccer half-season ticket ($100). For more information on all Whitecaps FC ticket options, call 604.669.9283 ext. 2 or visit whitecapsfc.com/tickets.