Lead Academy Physical Preparation Coach
The U23/Lead Academy Physical Preparation Coach ensures that athletes on the U23 team and academy achieve an elite-level of fitness and physical performance. This role integrates best practice in applied sports science to improve a player’s performance and prevent injuries in accordance with the WFC Performance Strategy. This role conducts soccer-specific testing, designs and implements strength and conditioning programs, and works with coaches in planning and load management under the guidance of the Head of Physical Preparation and the VP Performance.
Licenses or Certifications
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (C.S.C.S.) certification by the NSCA or Performance Enhancement Specialist (P.E.S.) certification by the NASM
- Current CPR/First Aid certification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Education, or related field. Master’s Degree in related field preferred.
- Complete continuing education as required for recertification.
- Preferred minimum of two (2) years of full-time experience at the Professional or NCAA/University Division I level as a strength and conditioning coach.
- Proven ability in the following areas: building foundational training aspects, strength training, plyometrics, speed development, conditioning, mobility, injury prevention and nutrition.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the implementation of strength and conditioning programming for developing athletes.
- Experience working with a Head Coach in soccer and creating daily training sessions, weekly micro cycles and yearly plans.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicate and collaborate regularly with the Head of Physical Preparation, Academy/U23 coaches and departments (i.e. - Player Care, Data Science, Coaching, Player Development, Nutrition, Mental Performance) to ensure an integrated process of player development, care and performance.
- Work daily with the U23 Head Coach to manage loading, periodization, and training session design to optimize the daily training environment.
- Lead the Assistant Academy Physical Preparation Coach (or other staff when needed) in the design, implementation and delivery of all long-term strength and conditioning programming.
- Design and implement safe and effective strength and conditioning programs for U23 and Academy players, that is in line with the Club’s development pathway, under the supervision of the Head of Physical Preparation.
- Lead and supervise performance-training sessions for teams and groups
- Overseeing the physical development of targeted academy athletes identified in the high potential program which will include supplemental planning and one on one sessions for individual training needs
- Educate and counsel players regarding strategies to improve performance under the guidance of the Head of Physical Preparation and line with WCFC Development Pathway
- Communicate with the sports medicine staff regarding injured and/or rehabilitating players to modify and individualize strength and conditioning programs
- Acquire player performance data through performance testing, monitoring training workload (sRPE, wellness) and body composition testing that is in line with the WFC Performance Strategy.
- May include acquiring, monitoring, and analyzing training workload through use of tracking technologies.
- Maintain the appearance and organization of equipment in weight room facility, as well as educate and enforce weight room rules
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills required to work effectively with players, coaches and other team personnel.
- Exhibit and practice club culture and philosophy on all dealings with staff, coaches and athletes.
If you feel you have what it takes to contribute to our team, please email your resume and cover letter indicating how you meet our qualifications, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Whitecaps FC believes that diversity and inclusion is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
No recruiters or agencies, please.