Assistant, Physical Preparation Coach
The Whitecaps FC mission is To Unite and Inspire Our Communities. We are looking for a new team member to contribute to the Vancouver Whitecaps culture by understanding and supporting our four cornerstones: team spirit, discipline, work ethic and mentality.
The Assistant, Physical Preparation Coach (PPC) is responsible to support the physical development of MLS & Top Prospect Academy athletes through conducting soccer-specific testing, designing and implementing strength and conditioning programs, integrating physical preparation into individual development plans for Top Prospects, and ensuring vertical alignment along the club’s development pathway.
This role integrates the best practices in applied sports science to improve a player’s performance and prevent injuries in accordance with the WFC Performance Strategy.
- Communicate and collaborate regularly with the coaches and other departments (i.e. - Player Care, Data Science, Coaching, Player Development) to ensure an integrated process of player development, care, and performance
- Design and implement safe and effective strength and conditioning programs for MLS and Top Prospect Academy players
- Support the Head PPC in developing daily, weekly, and monthly training plans, periodization strategies and gym programs for the 1st team
- Support the vertically alignment of training approaches, philosophies, and strategies from First Team down to Academy
- Educate and counsel players, staff and coaches regarding strategies to improve performance
- Communicate and collaborate with the sports medicine staff regarding injured and/or rehabilitating players to modify and individualize strength and conditioning programs
- Design, oversee, and implement return to play strength and conditioning programs for post rehabilitation players
- Evaluate player physical performance through testing, training workload monitoring systems, and body composition testing
- Monitor player responses and optimize training stimuli and recovery strategies.
- Maintain the appearance and organization of equipment in weight facility, as well as educate and enforce gym rules
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills required to work effectively with players, coaches and other team personnel and club staff
- Help with supervision of interns through our internship program
- Comply with all MLS medical policies, protocol, and Game Operations Manuals
- Participate in activities/meetings/programs as required by MLS
Licenses or Certifications:
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (C.S.C.S.) certification by the NSCA or Performance Enhancement Specialist (P.E.S.) certification by the NASM
- Certified Exercise Physiologist (CEP – CSEP, ACSM) preferred
- Current CPR/First Aid certification
In addition to bringing a commitment to Vancouver Whitecaps FC vision and values, the ideal candidate will require a broad base of performance support knowledge with degrees of demonstrated experience as follows:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Physical Education, or related field
- Master’s Degree in applied exercise science or physiology field
- Complete continuing education as required for recertification
- Minimum of 3 (three) years of full-time experience at an elite level (Olympic, professional or NCAA Division I) as a strength and conditioning coach or similar
- Proven ability in the following areas: strength training, plyometrics, speed development, conditioning, flexibility, injury prevention and return to play
- Demonstrative knowledge and experience in the physical preparation of elite level athletes
- Experience in the application of physiology and energy systems in soccer is an asset
- Demonstrated experience applying training principles to on field programming and return to play
- Experience with the application of technology in athlete monitoring, including collections, processing, analysis, and application in the daily training environment
- Proven ability to apply strength and conditioning and player preparation programs within an integrated performance environment, working collaboratively alongside technical/tactical, medical, and other sport science experts (physiology, nutrition, mental prep)
- The chance to work in a fun, non-traditional workplace that truly cares about people and communities
- First class facilities at the National Soccer Development Centre
- Training and support available to help develop your career
- A generous extended health and dental plan
- Heavily discounted game day tickets
- Become involved with Vancouver’s most exciting sporting environment
Whitecaps FC believes that diversity and inclusion is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This includes but is not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.
If you feel you have what it takes to contribute to our team, please email your resume and cover letter indicating how you meet our qualifications, to email@example.com with the position title as the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
No recruiters or agencies, please.