Director, Diversity, Inclusion and Community
We are seeking the right individual to become our first Director, Diversity, Inclusion and Community.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director will play a critical role in the building and implementation of the club’s diversity, equity and inclusion strategy. They will also be a key point of contact with teams and leaders across the business, partnering to educate, advise, guide and champion behaviours that support diversity and inclusion. The Director is also responsible for the management and organization of all activities of the club’s community initiatives.
We are looking for someone who has a proven track record leading diversity, equity and inclusion practices, is enthusiastic about community principles and values, can provide strategic direction and act as a resource to the Club, and will take this growing, community-focused organization to the next level.
Diversity and Inclusion:
- Build, grow and direct the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion vision and strategy for all areas of the business
- Establish business relationships with companies and community groups that share the values of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Partner with Major League Soccer (MLS) on league wide programs and initiatives and other best of class MLS club programs
- Create opportunities to engage and educate external communities regarding diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Uses industry metrics and data to develop advocacy initiatives that will reduce barriers for underrepresented and marginalized populations (i.e. People of Colour, Indigenous People, Women and Girls, LGBTQ2S+ community & Persons with Disabilities) both inside our organizations/programming, and shared externally for sector best practice
- Support, produce, promote and evaluate special events that increase opportunities for cultural interaction and education for historically marginalized communities including leveraging partnerships with external organizations and community groups.
- Preparing and building relationships among colleagues through diversity and inclusion training
- Audit and disrupt the internal systems, policies and frameworks in order to allow diversity, inclusion and equity to flourish
- Create a tool kit of diversity, equity and inclusion best practices.
- Reports back on DEI outcomes to identify the efficacy of the programs and initiatives to develop areas for increased focus and improvement.
- Act as an internal and external resource regarding diversity, equity and inclusion related support.
- Prepare and implement fund raising strategies and development plans including the Club’s 50/50 program and relationships with current corporate partners.
- Create community awareness of the community and charitable goals and objectives of the Club.
- Work with the Whitecaps Foundation to ensure grant-giving activities are in alignment with the Club’s overall objectives.
- Collaborate with the Whitecaps Foundation on projects initiated by the Whitecaps Foundation.
- Establish business operating plans that achieve the strategic community objectives of the Club, and review operating and financial reports to determine progress towards these objectives.
- Working with the Club’s Legal Team to co-ordinate and correspond with BC gaming branch for all required permits for any community initiatives.
- Represent the Club at meetings with charitable organizations, or in discussions concerning funding with arts, education, health, sports, seniors and social services organizations. Work with other community leaders and stay current of community needs.
- Steward relationships with key community partners (currently CHV, BCCHF, Hope and Health)
- Build relationships with government agencies at the municipal, provincial and federal level as well as with community groups across Canada
- Lead a team of up to 4 Community team members
- The Director will establish and lead club community-based programming on behalf of the club.
Current initiatives include:
- Community Ambassador program
- MLS First Team Player appearances in the community
- The Whitecaps youth summer soccer camps and community clinics
- School programs
- The Club’s Week of Giving initiative
- The Whitecaps Community cruiser
- Legends and Stars Celebrity Match
- Match day 50/50 program
- Donation requests
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience
- Previous experience and proven track-record with diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
- Experience working collaboratively with boards, executives, non-profit organizations and foundations
- Strong relationship management skills across all levels of an organization
- Outstanding communication skills and enjoy working with people
- The ability to think and act both strategically and operationally
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to manage projects with minimal oversight
If you feel you have what it takes to contribute to our team, please email your resume and cover letter indicating how you meet our qualifications, to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
No recruiters or agencies.