Director of Finance
The Vancouver Whitecaps FC mission is To Unite and Inspire Our Communities, both on and off the pitch. We are looking for a new team member to join us in the Leadership role of Director of Finance.
Reporting to the CEO/Sporting Director, the Director of Finance will lead operations and reporting for all internal and external team financial related matters within the organization, with a focus on developing strategies and processes that will continuously improve the Club’s results, innovation and collaboration, while supporting our overall vision and core values.
This is a hands-on senior leadership role, with oversight of the Club’s strategic financial planning as well as the day-to-day operations of the Club’s core finance functions: accurate accounting and reporting, team leadership & development, implementation of process and controls, and purchasing.
- Responsible to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting requirements for all internal and external reports, providing the owners and team with the information and tools they need to be successful
- Planning, preparation and presentation of the budget and business plan to ensure alignment between the operations and the ownership groups
- Develop and refine the Club’s business process and internal control procedures
- Oversees communications with League finance personnel as the lead point of contact with all finance related matters
- Oversee the Club’s annual financial audits and tax reporting
- Maintain the privacy and integrity of the Club’s financial information
- Ensure the Club’s compliance with provincial and federal legislation, as well as MLS requirements and organizational policy and procedure
- Standardize and automate processes to improve accuracy and ease of financial reporting and functions
Leadership & Management
- Providing leadership and motivational guidance and development to Finance team members to ensure positive work environment
- Providing guidance and oversight of all team finance operations and standards to all areas of the organization
- Cultivating and maintaining long-term, collaborative relationships with internal and external financial partners as well as vendors
- Networking within the industry to determine market comparisons and support development of KPIs throughout the Club
Strategic Financial Planning
- Collaborating closely with members of the Executive Leadership Team to support achievement of organizational goals, maximizing revenue, and ensuring compliance/risk management
- Developing, monitoring, and assisting management of team related budgets and all other finance related matters
- Using BI and advanced Data Analysis as a basis to develop innovative corporate solutions, policies & procedures, in order to enhance financial performance and improve overall Club operations
In addition to bringing a commitment to Vancouver Whitecaps FC vision and values, the ideal candidate will require a broad base of accounting and financial management with degrees of demonstrated experience as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, required
- CPA, or similar, required
- MBA or similar, preferred
- Minimum 12 years proven history of successful financial operations, budget management, team supervision, and strategic planning
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proven ability to make and participate in sound decisions that positively impact the overall financial performance of the organization
- Strong and innovative leadership in change management; developing and implementing programs and working effectively across the organization
- Ability to successfully lead by example and balance discretion, tact, and diplomacy with an open and transparent communication style
- Impeccable ethical standards and professional presence
- Excellent in-person presentation skills, relationship building, and experience in deal negotiation
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication, analytical and planning skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong Data Analysis Acumen
- Ability to work a varied schedule as required to ensure timely reporting and the occasional home game presence
- Centrally located office at Terry Fox Plaza, downtown Vancouver
- Training and support available to help develop your career
- A generous extended health and dental plan
- Unlimited personal time off
- Heavily discounted game day tickets
- Become involved with Vancouver’s most exciting sporting environment
- “Dress for your day” dress code
Vancouver Whitecaps FC believes that diversity and inclusion is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This includes but is not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.
If you feel you have what it takes to contribute to our team, please email your resume and cover letter indicating how you meet our qualifications, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title as the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
No recruiters or agencies, please.