Manager, Community & Communications
Originally established in 1974, Vancouver Whitecaps FC are one of the oldest and most decorated professional soccer clubs in North America. Whitecaps FC are fully integrated across Canada, operating soccer development programs nationwide from grassroots to the professional level for both boys and girls, as well as a core commitment to the community. Since 2011, the club has played in Major League Soccer, the top tier of professional soccer in the United States and Canada.
The Whitecaps FC mission is To Unite and Inspire Our Communities. To help reach this objective, the club is looking for a qualified and passionate individual to fill the role of Manager, Communications and Community.
The purpose of this role is to help create and maintain a proactive, strategic and aligned flow of internal and external communications, to be the primary contact to facilitate interdepartmental communication, to anticipate issues that may impact the club’s reputation and assist in preparing plans to address them, and play an important role on the community relations team to plan, develop and build brand awareness for the club’s work in the community.
How you will contribute:
- Establish a consistent and effective season long media/PR strategy for the club’s community efforts including external media pitches
- Media Relations for ongoing community initiatives and events
- Play active role in development of new community program ideas and initiatives
- Support Manager and Specialist, Community, in the execution of community initiatives
- Primary communications contact for business operations and back up communications contact for first team and soccer operations
- Ensures staff are receiving the information they need to succeed in their roles and are supported in times of challenge
- Issues management: Manages system to anticipate and prepare for issues that may affect the club’s reputation including the creation and distribution of communication plans
- Oversees and manages all executive speaking engagements/appearances including the drafting of speaking materials and preparation of spokespeople
- Keeps key stakeholders consistently well informed of club activities
- Ensures the club’s messaging is consistent internally and externally
- Promotes the club through the research, preparation and entry of various awards
- Assists with writing and editing WFC materials including media releases/advisories, speaking notes, website articles, key messages and Q&A.
- Ensure organizational initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to employees and stakeholders
- Respond to feedback from staff and adjust communications content accordingly
What are we looking for:
- 5 years of related experience
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal abilities, creativity, organization
- Strong computer proficiency
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
Why work for Whitecaps FC:
- The chance to work in a fun, non-traditional work environment
- Centrally located offices in Gastown
- Excellent training and support to enable you to do the job
- Benefits included a generous extended health and dental plan, unlimited paid time off and heavily discounted game day tickets
- Be part of Vancouver’s most exciting sporting environment
If you feel you have what it takes to contribute to our team, please email your resume and cover letter indicating how you meet our qualifications, to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
No recruiters or agencies, please.