Surf Cup XXIX - Day Two Report

Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-11 and U-12 Prospects teams completed Day Two of San Diego Surf Cup XXIX with differing fortunes on Sunday. The U-11 teams both reached the knockout stages, with the U-11 Boys advancing to Monday's semifinals. The U-12 teams, meanwhile, wrapped their tournament campaigns with their final group-stage matches.   GIRLS Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-11 Girls 2 – Tophat 16 Gold 0 The Whitecaps U-11 Girls secured a spot in the quarterfinals with a 2-0 victory over Georgia's Tophat 16 Gold in their final group match. The Prospects kicked off Day Two, with a strong start against a Tophat team who was in need of a victory to keep their tournament hopes alive. Early pressure and continued possession created several 'Caps scoring chances, with the best coming in the first minute of the match when good combination play led to a quality Meghan Douglas scoring chance that was hit just wide of goal. The Whitecaps continued to press for the opening goal, but were denied by the Tophat goalkeeper on several occasions. The 'Caps persistence finally paid off on 35 minutes when a precisely-played through ball from Ashley Burgess found a streaking Teagan McManus who made no mistake to give the Whitecaps the 1-0 lead. The Prospects sealed the victory five minutes later when a cross from Selena Karmali found the head of Sonali Dholliwar to put the final touches on an impressive Whitecaps outing. The 'Caps back four of Olivia Shepphard, Jas Kang, Selena Karmali, and Allyson Dickson were dominant, shutting down Tophat, while kick starting the Prospects attack. The victory guaranteed the young Whitecaps a spot in the quarterfinals. Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-11 Girls 0 – Slammers FC 3 The U-11 Girls tournament came to an end with a 3-0 quarterfinal defeat versus Slammers FC of California South. The Whitecaps put the Slammers on their heels early on, but could not find the back of the net. The Slammers began to build momentum and would open the scoring in the 20th minute when a cross from the right flank was neatly finished past a diving Stephanie Cogswell. The second half saw the Whitecaps change their shape to a 4-4-2 formation, which led to some early opportunities, highlighted by quality scoring chances for Gurneet Dhaliwal and Teagan McManus. The Prospects went down two goals on 38 minutes when a well-struck shot found the back of the 'Caps goal to put the Slammers 2-0 ahead. The 'Caps pressed for a goal, but would have their fate sealed late by a Slammers counter-attack, ending the Prospects hopes of a semifinal appearance. Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-12 Girls 0 – Palm Beach Magicjacks 3 The Whitecaps U-12 Girls wrapped up their tournament with a 3-0 defeat versus Palm Beach Magicjacks. The Prospects came out flying in the first half and had several scoring chances, but were unable to find the back of the Palm Beach goal. The Magicjacks broke the deadlock on 21 minutes when a long shot eluded the Whitecaps goalkeeper. The ‘Caps began the second half looking for the equalizer and were rewarded when Jade Garfield’s hard work lead to a penalty kick. Unfortunately for Vancouver, Reetu Johal kick went just wide of the post to keep the score at 1-0. The Prospects hopes were then dealt a severe blow when a Palm Beach forward out-ran the 'Caps defenders before finding the back of the net to put Palm Beach ahead 2-0. Palm Beach rounded out the scoring on 36 minutes, burying a rebound for 3-0. On 42 minutes, the match came to an abrupt end when 'Caps defender Willa Taylor courageously went into a tackle that resulted in her suffering a broken leg. After a long delay, Taylor was taken to hospital by ambulance and the officials ended the game. The young 'Caps defender is in good spirits and is expected to make a quick and full recovery. BOYS Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-11 Boys 2 – PAC Impact 0 The U-11 Boys finished group play in first place after a 2-0 win over PAC Impact. The Whitecaps took control of the match on 10 minutes when David Norman sent a perfect through ball to sniper Zach Verhoven, who calmly collected his fourth goal of the tournament for an early 1-0 advantage. The second goal came on 17 minutes, starting with a throw-in on the left side of the field. After some slick passing combination in midfield, Thomas Gardner played the ball to streaking right back Janko Vong. Vong continued to take the space before driving in a perfect low cross to the far post that was finished by an alert Erik Morden, giving the 'Caps a 2-0 victory. Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-11 Boys 2 – Fullerton Rangers White 0 The Whitecaps U-11 Boys advanced to the semifinals after an impressive 2-0 victory over the Fullerton Rangers White. The young Whitecaps were in complete control of the game from start to finish, maintaining possession with constant pressure in their opponents half. However, it was Fullerton who gave the 'Caps an early scare. The Rangers looked to take the lead through a superb volley, but were denied by a terrific save from goalkeeper Patrick Dominguez. The Whitecaps quickly settled down and were eager to open the scoring, but could not find the net until just before halftime when Liam Fraser hit a fantastic free kick from 35 yards out to put the ‘Caps 1-0 up. The Rangers looked to stymie the young Whitecaps with their physical and scrappy play, but the Prospects were undeterred. The ‘Caps persistence was finally rewarded when Zach Verhoven was taken down from behind in the box for a penalty. David Norman stepped up and coolly converted with a strike inside the left corner put the final touches on a superb 2-0 win. The Whitecaps now prepare for a semifinal clash against the Los Angeles Legends FC, last year’s champions in the U-11 Surf Cup tournament. Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-12 Boys 1 – Crossfire Premier Spidahl 5 The Whitecaps U-12 Boys wrapped up their tournament run with a 5-1 loss to Crossfire Premier Spidahl from Washington State. The Whitecaps showed a lot of spirit, despite having already been eliminated. Crossfire opened the scoring just before halftime to go up 1-0. The Whitecaps pushed for the equalizer to start the second half. However, Crossfire capitalized on a turnover with a quick counter to make it 2-0. Crossfire then struck twice more in the following three minutes to make it 4-0. The Whitecaps got on the scoresheet when Brendan Shaw finished a rebound after a great shot from Merlin Fisk before the Crossfire got one more to make the final 5-1.