Jay DeMerit Lionard Pajoy
Getty Images

Another shutout, but second straight 0-0 draw far from satisfying for Whitecaps FC

Mark down another shutout for this season’s best defence in Major League Soccer, but Vancouver Whitecaps FC aren’t exactly thrilled.

That’s because the Whitecaps FC offence drew blanks in a scoreless draw against Philadelphia Union on Saturday, souring the return of striker Sebastien Le Toux and leaving the club regretting their missed opportunities.

WATCH: Full Match Highlights

“I’m very disappointed with myself,” Le Toux told reporters after the match. “You know I wanted to get the win here, and unfortunately, we didn’t. I had the two biggest chances on the team. I have to be better. I’m really very disappointed about them.”

Le Toux, who was dealt to Vancouver from Philadelphia via trade during the offseason, certainly had his chances to sink his former club. His best chance came in the 83rd minute, when he was put in alone on Philadelphia goalkeeper Zac MacMath before firing his shot well over the goal.

The ‘Caps failed to record a shot on target for the second consecutive game, after they were held scoreless in a 0-0 draw last weekend against D.C. United.

“We played well today without getting the reward for it,” Whitecaps FC head coach Martin Rennie told Vancouver radio station TEAM 1410 following the match, “and I think we’re all a bit frustrated.”

Key regulars Eric Hassli, Alain Rochat, and Camilo Sanvezzo all played no role in Saturday’s game due to injury. That forced a formation change, as Rennie deployed what appeared to be more of a narrow diamond 4-4-2 formation, which pleased the coach, despite the lack of finish.

OPTA CHALKBOARD: Why Whitecaps FC struggled

“On the road, you just need one or two chances and you need to take them,” Rennie told TEAM 1410. “I felt like we created enough and we defended well enough, especially since we’re a long, long way from home over here in Philadelphia. So I think we did perform well. We just didn’t have that clinical touch at the end of it.”

The shutout was the fourth in as many games this season for the Vancouver defence, pushing the team’s streak to 360 consecutive minutes without conceding a goal. That puts the club within striking distance of Major League Soccer’s shutout record, currently held by the 2007 New York Red Bulls (421).

Vancouver will look to break the record when they return to action next Saturday at San Jose Earthquakes.