VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Friday that the club has signed right back Jake Nerwinski to a contract extension through 2019, with options for 2020 and 2021.
The move is the latest key transaction for Whitecaps FC, who continue preparations for their March 4 season opener against Montreal Impact.
- TICKETS: Single-match tickets on sale now
"Jake has worked extremely hard, done a lot of the little things right, has shown a willingness to commit to our club, and has earned this new contract," said Whitecaps FC head coach Carl Robinson. "Jake is a pleasure to work with day in, day out, and will only continue to push himself to get better."
Whitecaps FC right back Jake Nerwinski
- WFC Most Promising Player awardee and MLS Rookie of the Year finalist in 2017
- Made 26 starts and appearances across all competitions, including all three matches in the MLS Cup Playoffs, while recording six assists
- Five assists in the regular season, one shy from matching club MLS single-season record for a fullback, finishing second among rookies and third among all defenders
- Earned two MLS Team of the Week selections, three Man of the Match honours, and was the Whitecaps FC Player of the Month for July
"This means a lot," added Nerwinski. "This club has put a lot of trust in me. They said at the beginning of last year, if I showed well, played well, they would reward me, and I’m thankful to all the coaches and my teammates. I love this city, I landed in a great place, and I couldn’t be happier. I will continue to give my all for Vancouver and our amazing fans."
- DAILY HIVE: Nerwinski's blog: 'I've got some exciting news'
Nerwinski, 23, was named the club's Most Promising Player following his first season, and was among the finalists for the MLS Rookie of the Year in 2017.
The Lawrenceville, New Jersey native started all 19 of his regular season appearances for the 'Caps in his first season as a professional. His five assists fell just one shy from matching Young-Pyo Lee's club MLS single-season record for a fullback, and was second among rookies and third among all defenders. In the MLS Cup Playoffs, Nerwinski started all three matches, playing 216 shutout minutes for Vancouver.
In other competition last year, he made four combined starts and appearances in the Canadian Championship and the CONCACAF Champions League, notching one assist.
Nerwinski also earned two MLS Team of the Week selections, three Man of the Match honours, and was the Whitecaps FC Player of the Month for July.
Transaction: Whitecaps FC right back Jake Nerwinski agrees to a contract extension through 2019, with options for 2020 and 2021
Position: Right back
Weight: 175 pounds
Date of Birth: October 17, 1994, in Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Hometown: Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Citizenship: United States
Previous Club: University of Connecticut Huskies (NCAA DI: 2013 to 2016)