This coming Saturday’s home match at BC Place will mark Union Night, celebrating the contributions of unions to our community.
BC Federation of Labour president Irene Lanzinger will be in attendance to commemorate the event, along with the presidents of many other unions.
The organizations attending Union Night include:
- BC Federation of Labour
- BC Government and Service Employees’ Union (BCGEU)
- Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
- Compensation Employees’ Union
- District Council 38 (International Union of Painters and Allied Trades)
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) Local 891
- Ironworkers Local 97
- Union of British Columbia Performers (UBCP) / Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television, and Radio Artists (ACTRA)
- Vancouver Musicians Association Local 145
- United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 1518
- Health Sciences Association of BC
- British Columbia Teachers’ Federation (BCTF)
Also on Saturday, there will be a a special recognition of the Ironworkers and the survivors from the 1958 collapse of the Second Narrows bridge. The Ironworkers – who were inspiration for the club’s steel grey Unity kit – held a ceremony in June in honour of the 60th anniversary of the collapse of the bridge, which was renamed the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge in 1994.
Survivors Lou Lessard and Byron Maine will be in attendance to commemorate the event, with additional acknowledgement to fellow survivor Gary Poirier, who was a part of the 60th Anniversary ceremony in June before recently passing away from cancer in August.
Bob Lenarduzzi with the Vancouver Whitecaps presents survivors with personalized jerseys pic.twitter.com/RDGB8G7xDO— Monika Gul (@MonikaGul) June 17, 2018
Kickoff for Saturday’s match vs. San Jose Earthquakes is set for 7 p.m. PT at BC Place (TSN and TSN 1040 radio – whitecapsfc.com/tickets). The ‘Caps are unbeaten in five MLS matches. For more information on Union Night, please contact Seth Gordon at email@example.com.