Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 (WFC2) matches take place at UBC Thunderbird Stadium. The following Match Day Guide is designed to ensure that your experience at Thunderbird Stadium is enjoyable and convenient.
Please note that both the August 21 and September 5 matches will be hosted at McLeod Athletic Park in the Township of Langley.
Guests can enter UBC Thunderbird Stadium via the Main Gate, adjacent to the Ticket Centre signage.
Participants in Future Stars presented by Soccer Express and the #BellPitchsideVIP experience, can enter the stadium following registration at the North Gate.
Gates open 60 minutes prior to kickoff.
All stadium entrances are wheelchair accessible. Wheelchair seating is located on the south side of the grandstand. Accessible parking is available directly adjacent to the primary entrance of the facility.
The stadium is located at 6288 Stadium Road, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
No discounts on the price of admission will be offered based on the time of your entry. The ticket price is the same whether you enter at the beginning or end of the match. Tickets are $15 at the gate and seating is general admission.
Alcohol policies are in place to ensure all guests have a memorable time during their visit. For those who would like to consume alcoholic beverages, they are available at concession stands down at field level as well as the concourse concession across from the main entrance point. Provincial liquor laws prohibit guests from bringing alcoholic beverages into the stadium, and the only alcohol permitted on the premises must be purchased and/or dispensed by authorized stadium servers.
- Guests who appear to be under the age of 30 will be required to show approved identification
- No guest will be served more than two alcoholic beverages at any given time.
- Alcohol beverage sales will stop at the 80 minute mark during WFC2 matches
- We encourage all fans to drink responsibly and consider all alternate modes of transportation available.
Only certified service dogs or service dogs in training will be allowed into the stadium. All other animals are prohibited.
The only exception to this rule will apply on June 12th for the Bark at the ‘Bird theme day. Those wishing to bring their canine friends or family to the match will need to contact their Account Representative in advance of the match.
BAGS / BAG SEARCH
All bags and backpacks that easily fit under a seat are allowed. Event security may open bags at the gates for a visual inspection before allowing a guest to enter. Security measures may be increased based on direction, or orders from the RCMP. These procedures may include, but are not limited to, a more thorough search of persons and property as well as a pat down.
No soft-sided containers, coolers or large bags are permitted into the stadium on WFC2 match days.
Due to these safety procedures, we strongly recommend early arrival to all WFC2 matches.
BANNERS AND SIGNS / VISUAL DISPLAYS OF SUPPORT
For Whitecaps FC2 matches, fans are permitted to bring approved tifo, signs, flags, and/or banners (collectively, “Visual Displays”) into the stadium to exhibit their support for the club.
Visual Displays that are 4’ x 8’ or smaller, which comprise solely of the Whitecaps logo, or are a Canadian, Province of British Columbia, or City of Vancouver flag do not require club approval.
All other Visual Displays must be approved by the club, in the club’s sole discretion, and will follow these guidelines:
- All Visual Displays that have messaging on them, must be pre-approved by Vancouver Whitecaps FC Front Office before use at the match.
· Visual Displays will not display any commercial messaging, political messaging, religious messaging or any racist, discriminatory, or inappropriate language.
Any Visual Displays that do not follow the above guidelines may be confiscated.
All Visual Displays that are not approved will not be permitted to enter the stadium.
All Visual Displays must enter through the North gate.
All ticketholders, including any accompanying Visual Displays are still subject to search upon entering the stadium.
To obtain approval for your Visual Display, a minimum of three business days prior to match day, please send an email with accompanying photo of your sign, flag or banner to:
Coordinator, Events and Match Operations
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Upon approval of a Visual Display, a tifo sticker will be issued. The sticker must be adhered to the back of the Visual Display and can be picked up at the Whitecaps office.
Select group ticket purchasers will be awarded a surprise and delight experience, courtesy of Bell. Groups will be selected randomly and contacted by their Account Representative. Lucky winners will be treated to a pitchside pre-match warm-up viewing, a private player meet and greet, reserved VIP seats, and an on pitch post-match autograph session with the team.
Selected participants should register for their match day experience at the North Gate.
BEVERAGES, BOTTLES AND CANS
Empty water bottles are permitted into the stadium and are subject to search at the gate. Bottled water can also be purchased in venue.
There are several bicycle racks in the parking lot adjacent to Thunderbird Stadium and throughout the UBC campus.
CAMERA AND VIDEO EQUIPMENT
Personal photography is permitted in stadium, provided the images are for personal use only. Photographic support tools that may interfere with others' enjoyment of the match (tripods, professional lenses larger than 200 mm, etc.) are not permitted in the stadium. Audio or video recording is not permitted.
The use of cellular phones is allowed at Thunderbird Stadium, provided the usage does not interfere with another guest’s enjoyment of the game. Bell is the Premier Founding Partner and Official Telecommunications Partner of Whitecaps FC. We encourage fans to check out their mobile services and phones at www.bell.ca.
Children age two and under will be admitted free as long as the child is sitting on an adult's lap. If a parent requests a physical seat for the child, he/she must purchase a ticket.
CODE OF CONDUCT
WFC2 is committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for all guests, according to the following guidelines:
- Fans are encouraged to sing, cheer, and otherwise support their teams while remaining respectful and courteous to their fellow patrons, team stadium employees, and stadium property.
- Fans will not engage in disruptive behaviour, including foul, racial, obscene or abusive language or gestures towards, or in reference to a player, coach, referee, fan, or staff member. Fans will also not engage in fighting and are prohibited from throwing objects or attempting to enter the field. Those who engage in any of these actions may be ejected immediately from the venue and remanded to the proper authorities.
- Confetti and streamers are permitted in celebration in the designated time windows, when pre-arranged with the Whitecaps FC front office. Streamers and confetti may be thrown during goal celebrations, stoppage of play, pre-game, half-time, and post-game ceremonies, as long as there is no interference to the event. Streamers may not be thrown at players, officials, or staff.
- Supporters are never allowed to enter the opposing team’s supporter sections at any time.
- Fans will comply with requests from team and stadium staff regarding stadium operations and from local authorities regarding emergency response procedures.
- Fans will sit in their ticketed seats and show their tickets when requested. Specific sections are designated as standing areas for supporters. Although standing is allowed in Supporter sections, standing on chairs is not permitted.
- Fans will not smoke in any area of the stadium as it is a non-smoking facility.
- Fans will not exhibit any obscene, indecent, political or inciting messages on signs, clothing or other material. The stadium and Whitecaps FC reserve the right to pre-approve all banners, flags and drums prior to the event. Please refer to “Banners and Signs & Visual Displays of Support”
- Whitecaps FC and the stadium reserve the right to revoke any of these privileges if the Supporters do not cooperate in a respectful manner and abide by Whitecaps FC and stadium rules, regulations, or policies.
- There will be zero tolerance for the violation of any local, provincial or federal laws.
UBC Food Services, the food service provider at Thunderbird Stadium, offers a wide variety of meal choices in the food trucks on site from your classic hotdogs, to Kung Pao chicken, pulled pork, Vietnamese cucumber salad, mac & cheese, and Szechuan hot pots. There are also concession locations that provide a selection of chips and candy, along with a variety of beer.
Food trucks will be rotated throughout the season and include: the Dog House, the Hungry Nomad, School of Fish, and Roaming Bowl. Food and beverage services are accessible on field level within the north and south plazas as well as on the concourse, just inside the Main Gate.
ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE AND VAPORIZER
The stadium is a non-smoking facility. As such, there is no smoking on the stadium’s plaza or inside the gates. E-Cigarettes and Vaporizers are not permitted for use while inside the Stadium. Individuals using them inside the facility will be advised that they are not to be used, and continued use may result in removal.
First Aid is available within the north plaza at field level. For assistance, please visit the First Aid or Sales & Services tent at the North plaza.
FUTURE STARS PRESENTED BY SOCCER EXPRESS
Those participating in the youth program, Future Stars presented by Soccer Express (player escorts, ball retrievers, and flag bearers), should register for their respective activities at the North Gate in accordance with the schedule provided to each group.
Seating at WFC2 matches is general admission; however, there are designated areas. The family friendly area is located in the north side of the grandstand and the supporter area is located in the south side of the grandstand. Standing, chanting, cheering and flag waving are to be expected in the south side of the stadium.
While seating is general admission, seats may be reserved from time to time in order to accommodate groups and VIPs. Please call 604-484-7862 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about VIP group experiences.
WFC2 values feedback from their fans. To relay your comments after a match, please e-mail email@example.com. You can also reach us by phone at 604.669.9283.
There will be live music at most WFC2 matches. The stage will be located within the south plaza. The band will perform from gates open to just prior to kickoff and at halftime.
LOST AND FOUND
If you lose (or find) an item during the match, please report the loss (or bring the found item) to the Sales & Service booth within the north plaza. Following a match day, the stadium should be contacted for the retrieval of any lost items at 604-822-1523.
Parents looking for a lost child should report to the Sales & Service tent within the north plaza.
Official Whitecaps FC and WFC2 merchandise is available at the Merchandise tent within the south plaza.
METHODS OF PAYMENT
MasterCard, Visa, Debit and cash are accepted at ticketing, food, and merchandise locations. Cheques are not accepted.
NO SMOKING POLICY
The stadium is a non-smoking facility. As such, there is no smoking on the stadium’s plaza or inside the gates.
Thunderbird Stadium is an outdoor venue. Dress in accordance with the weather forecast. It is further recommended that fans dress in layers, as the weather can change sporadically on campus. Have sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses with you during the hot summer months!
Outside food or drink is not permitted into the stadium. Special considerations will be made for infants (i.e. bottles and unopened baby food), and for medical reasons. Any outside food or beverage will have to be consumed or disposed of at the gates.
Pay parking is available in multiple lots close to the stadium. Parking rates range from $0.50 to $1.75 per half hour, depending on the time and location. Information on rates can be found here. UBC campus parking information is available here, or you can refer to the map below for lots nearest Thunderbird Stadium.
Participants in the pre-match clinic should register, and enter the stadium, via the north gate. For more information about our pre-match clinics on May 15th, June 12th, and August 6th please call 604-484-7862 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All participants must be registered in advance of match day in order to participate.
- Weapons of any kind
- Anything that could be used as a weapon or as a projectile
- Bottles, cups, jugs or cans of any kind
- Fireworks, flares, or other pyrotechnics
- Alcoholic beverages of any kind, narcotics or other illegal stimulants
- See visual displays of support for flag, banner, and pole policies
- Any sort of animals other than trained guide dogs for the visually impaired
- Any promotional or commercial materials not pre-approved by management
- Spray cans, corrosive, flammable substances, dyes or receptacles containing substances which are harmful to health or are highly flammable
- Mechanically-operated instruments which produce an excessive volume of noise such as megaphones, air or gas-powered horns
- Laser pointers
- Vuvuzelas and horns
- Masks can be worn to the match; they must be removed in the stadium.
- Computer or other devices used for the purposes of transmitting or disseminating sound, pictures, descriptions or results of the events via the internet or other forms of media
- Other objects which could compromise public safety and/or harm the reputation of the Event
- Skateboards are not allowed and will not be stored.
Any individual who throws, tosses, or otherwise projects any object in the stands, onto the pitch, or in the direction of another spectator, will be immediately removed from the stadium. Thrown objects will become the property of WFC2 and will be returned to their owner only at the sole discretion of WFC2 and the stadium.
Re-entry is not permitted at the stadium.
SOCCER EXPRESS KID ZONE
The Soccer Express Kid Zone is located within the north plaza and includes a variety of activities, for example, face painting, a balloon artist, and mini soccer. The space is located at pitch level and is within view of the match.
The area for stroller parking is located just inside the Main gate.
WFC2 is not responsible for any lost or damaged items. If a stroller parking ticket is lost, proof of identification must be provided in order to claim the stroller.
Stroller parking is available from gates opening time to a half hour after the final whistle. If no strollers are dropped off, stroller parking will close at halftime.
WFC2 is proud to present a full theme day program for the 2016 season. There are a number of fun and exciting theme days to select from. Themes include Keep Fit & Have Fun! Catching Fire and fan favourite, Bark at the ‘Bird. More information on theme days can be found here.
UBC is easily accessible by the #99 B-Line express bus that travels along the Broadway corridor.
Hop on the #99 B-Line at a designated stop or transfer onto the #99 B-Line after taking any of the following Skytrain routes:
- Canada Line to Broadway-City Hall station
- Expo Line/Millennium Line to Broadway station
- Millennium Line to Commercial Drive station
Alternative Bus Routes
#4 (UBC/Downtown), #9 (UBC/Commercial-Broadway), #14 (UBC/Hastings), #25 (UBC/Brentwood Station), #33 (UBC/29th Avenue Station), #41 (UBC/Joyce-Collingwood Station), #44 (UBC/Downtown), #84 (UBC/VCC-Clark Station)
Community Shuttles to UBC Bus Loop
#C18 (UBC/West Mall), #C19 (UBC/Alma), #C20 (UBC/Marine Drive)
Visit http://www.translink.ca/ to check transit routes and bus schedules. Please note that Thunderbird Stadium is approximately a 15-minute walk from the UBC Bus Loop.
Season Ticket holders are encouraged to contact their WFC2 Account Representative prior to any game to go over options available for tickets that may be going unused. Tickets can be donated to the Kids Up Front Foundation (www.kidsupfrontvancouver.com) on your behalf so that no seats are left empty.
All Tier 1 ‘Caps Club Members receive three WFC2 vouchers in their membership and all Tier 2 ‘Caps Club Members receive one WFC2 voucher in their membership. Vouchers can be redeemed via Account Manager in advance of the selected match.
Members are encourage to use the theme day schedule as a guide to select their preferred matches.
Will Call is located within the Ticket Centre at the Main Gate.