Theor Bair 2016 Residency
Bob Frid/Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Residency Report: 'Caps come out firing to start 2018

Whitecaps FC Residency teams played their first matches of 2018 this past weekend, returning to Development Academy action at the WFC National Soccer Development Centre.


Saturday began with an 8-0 victory against De Anza Force.

After 30 scoreless minutes, Jefferson Alade netted a goal on an acrobatic finish after a cross from Jake Ruby. Anthony Caceres doubled the lead three minutes later with a top corner strike. Theo Bair made it 3-0 just before halftime on a penalty kick drawn by Gurman Sangha.

The second half started with a goal from Sangha, followed by another goal from Bair. Sangha also scored his second goal, followed by one from Jose Hernandez, with Simon Stacey rounding out the scoring in the 71st minute.

Sunday produced a 5-0 win over Santa Cruz Breakers.

Georges Mukumbilwa opened the scoring just a minute in on a cross from Bair. Hernandez added two more goals in the first 20 minutes, first on a throughball and later off a corner kick from Noah Verhoeven.

Before the end of the first half, Michael Baldisimo scored on a penalty kick which was drawn by Hernandez.

Hernandez then rounded out the scoring, finishing his hat-trick in the 65th minute after a pass from Caceres.


Saturday ended with an 6-0 win against De Anza Force.

Chance Carter scored on nine minutes, followed by Matteo de Brienne on 17 minutes after he rounded the goalkeeper from close range. Kyle Gomes then scored on 30 minutes, followed by a second goal from de Brienne on a rebound after his penalty kick was saved. Damiano Pecile found the net on 57 minutes, followed by an own goal after great work from Gomes.

“We were a little sloppy in the first half in all moments, but we had the goals to feel comfortable,” said U-17 head coach Adam Day. “I felt after the break we were very good for 20 minutes. Overall it was a good return to play.”

Sunday ended in a 5-0 win for the U-17s over Santa Cruz.

Simon Colyn opened the scoring in the fifth minute after a great cross from Christopher Lee. Pecile doubled the lead on 23 minutes, followed by Christian Campagna in the 27th minute. Keisean Brooks scored on a low drive in the 29th, with the final goal again coming from Colyn in the 36th minute.

“We had a good display all around,” noted Day. “A 10-minute spell in the first half pushed us into the ascendency. The weekend has been a perfect back-to-work week. We got some of the rustiness out of our game and hopefully that will lead us into next week’s Cascadia derby in Seattle.”


The U-15s dropped a 2-1 match to De Anza Force on Saturday.

The 'Caps created numerous chances in the first half but went into the break scoreless. In the second half, WFC opened the scoring on a tidy finish by Kam Habibullah. However, De Anza tied the match and scored in the last minute on a deflected shot.

Sunday ended on a positive note with a 3-0 win over Santa Cruz.

The Blue and White created chances from the opening kickoff through some excellent play. Eric White scored first from a Naseeb Bains cross. The strong performance continued in the second half as Lucas Hermans made it 2-0 with a great strike from the edge of the box and Habibullah added the third goal for the final score.

“Overall it was a good first weekend back for the group,” noted U-15 head coach James Merriman. “There were positives to build from and learnings to take away.”