- Whitecaps FC have won four of their past five MLS matches
- Whitecaps FC have now won four of their past five road matches, including Leagues Cup
- Whitecaps FC scored their league-leading 17th goal in the first 30 minutes
- The 'Caps kept their first clean sheet in MLS play since May 20 against Seattle
- Ryan Gauld became the 'Caps all-time leader in MLS assists with 23
- Gauld continues to lead MLS in goal contributions since May 31 with 16 (nine goals, seven assists). In all competitions, he now has 19 (10 goals and nine assists) in his past 14 appearances.
- Brian White scored his career high 14th goal of the season in all competitions. With 10 goals in MLS play, he is now three goals behind Hany Mukhtar and Lucho Acosta for the MLS golden boot lead
- White has scored in five straight road matches, including Leagues Cup, and Gauld has assisted the last four
Secure the best seats for 2024!
All the action, all season long. Get exclusive benefits when you become a full season member.
CHICAGO, IL – Vancouver Whitecaps FC won their second straight match on the road with a 1-0 victory against Chicago Fire FC at historic Soldier Field on Wednesday.
It was a thoroughly dominant first half for the 'Caps, starting from the opening kickoff as Richie Laryea was sent into the box to earn a corner kick.
The 'Caps finally broke through in the 19th minute. Laryea fed Ryan Gauld to the endline, as he centred to Brian White for the finish. Gauld continues to lead MLS in goal contributions since May 31 with his 16th, while White scored for a fifth straight away game.
Gauld later had a pair of chances in the box to extend the lead, the first saved by Chris Brady, and the second off the outside of the post after he rounded Brady on a breakaway.
In the 36th minute, the same connection nearly paid off again as Gauld crossed to White in the box, but Brady made a great save to keep it out.
Chicago came out stronger in the second half, including a deflected shot that hit the crossbar, but the 'Caps remained comfortable throughout to see out another huge victory and put themselves in a strong position in the Western Conference standings with a game in hand on teams in front of them.
The 'Caps are right back in action on Saturday as they continue their seven-match road stretch against New York City FC at Yankee Stadium. It will be an early match, with kickoff at 12:30 p.m. PT live on TSN, MLS Season Pass on Apple TV, and AM730.
The next home match for the ‘Caps is on Saturday, September 30 at 7:30 p.m. PT against DC United. For tickets, visit whitecapsfc.com/tickets.
2024 Season Memberships for the 50th Anniversary season go on-sale September 5. Fans who place a deposit today can receive a 2023 MLS Season Pass on Apple TV for the remainder of the current season ($129 value, limited availability).
VWFC GE Appliances Player of Quality: Brian White
Referee: Ricardo Fierro
19’ – VAN – Brian White (Ryan Gauld, Richie Laryea)
Possession: CHI 53.4% - VAN 46.6%
Shots: CHI 14 - VAN 10
Shots on Goal: CHI 3 - VAN 4
Saves: CHI 4 - VAN 3
Fouls: CHI 13 - VAN 14
Offsides: CHI 0 - VAN 1
Corners: CHI 4 - VAN 5
58’ – VAN – Javain Brown
Chicago Fire FC34.Chris Brady; 4.Carlos Teran, 22.Mauricio Pineda (2. Arnaud Souquet HT), 5.Rafael Czichos ©; 7.Maren Haile-Selassie, 31.Federico Navarro, 26.Ousmane Doumbia (21.Fabian Herbers 65'), 6.Miguel Navarro; 10.Xherdan Shaqiri (19.Georgios Κoutsias 78'), 23.Kei Kamara, 17.Brian Gutierrez
Substitutes not used
18.Spencer Richey, 3.Daniel Aceves, 11.Kacper Przybylko, 16.Wyatt Omsberg, 24.Jonathan Dean
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
18.Yohei Takaoka; 23.Javain Brown, 4.Ranko Veselinović, 6.Tristan Blackmon; 16.Sebastian Berhalter; 7.Richie Laryea (3.Sam Adekugbe 68'), 22.Ali Ahmed (8.Alessandro Schöpf 60'), 45.Pedro Vite, 27.Ryan Raposo (26.J.C. Ngando 79'); 24.Brian White (9.Sergio Córdova 78'), 25.Ryan Gauld ©
Substitutes not used
32.Isaac Boehmer, 2.Mathías Laborda, 28.Levonte Johnson, 29.Simon Becher, 31.Russell Teibert