- Whitecaps FC are tied with Orlando as the most in-form team in league play in the last seven matches with a 5W-1L-1D record (16 points)
- Ryan Gauld continues to lead MLS in goal contributions since May 31 with 18 (10 goals and eight assists)
- Brian White continued his career season with his 15th goal in all competitions, and 11th in MLS play. He sits three goals behind the golden boot lead
- Ryan Raposo recorded third assist of the season in all competitions, and second in MLS play
- Pedro Vite recorded his fifth assist of the season in all competitions, and second in MLS play
- Whitecaps FC are now 3W-0L-1D in the first four matches of their club record seven-match road stretch
- Overall, the 'Caps are unbeaten in their last six road matches, including Leagues Cup
- Whitecaps FC are unbeaten against Eastern Conference opposition this season at 4W-0L-2D
- Whitecaps FC has posted a record of 6W-0L-2D when Ali Ahmed starts an MLS regular season match
- In addition to winning the Voyageurs Cup in the Canadian Championship, the 'Caps also beat both CF Montréal and Toronto FC in MLS regular season play
Secure your seats from $321
TORONTO, ON – Vancouver Whitecaps FC continued to roll on their club record seven-match MLS road stretch, staying unbeaten and earning their third win in four matches with a 2-1 comeback victory over Toronto FC at BMO Field on Saturday.
The first half saw the two sides exchange half-chances, with Yohei Takaoka making saves on Federico Bernardeschi and Lorenzo Insigne, and Brian White, Ryan Raposo, and Richie Laryea getting shots on target at the other end.
The Blue & White came out flying to start the second half. In the 48th minute, Raposo had a great curling strike on target that was stopped on a great full-stretch save from Tomas Romero. On the ensuing corner kick, Mathías Laborda had a header on target blocked off the line, and the play was snuffed out just before Tristan Blackmon could get to the rebound.
As the 'Caps pressed forward, Toronto FC caught them on the counterattack to open the scoring. Canadian Deandre Kerr got in behind the backline and finished to make it 1-0.
But the lead would not last long. In the 56th minute, Raposo sent in a corner kick that was casually headed in by Blackmon to level the score at 1-1.
Moments later, Raposo was at it again, this time hitting the crossbar after beating Romero.
Persistence would pay off, and in the 66th minute the 'Caps dynamic duo struck once again. Ryan Gauld continued his MVP-level campaign with another assist, crossing into White for his 11th MLS goal of the season and 15th in all competitions.
The two combined for a pair of additional chances minutes later. In the 71st minute, it was another Gauld cross headed just off target, and then on 73 minutes a through-ball that ended with a White shot on target that was saved.
The 'Caps continue their seven-match road stretch on Wednesday when they play against Houston Dynamo FC at Shell Energy Stadium. Kickoff will be at 5:30 p.m. PT live on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV and on AM730 radio.
Whitecaps FC are back on home on Saturday, September 30 when they host DC United at BC Place. Tickets are available at whitecapsfc.com/tickets.
2024 Season Memberships for the 50th Anniversary season go on-sale September 5. Fans who place a deposit today can receive a 2023 MLS Season Pass on Apple TV for the remainder of the current season ($129 value, limited availability).
VWFC GE Appliances Player of Quality: Ryan Gauld
Referee: Ramy Touchan
50’ – TOR – Deandre Kerr (Lorenzo Insigne)
56’ – VAN – Tristan Blackmon (Ryan Raposo)
66’ – VAN – Brian White (Ryan Gauld, Pedro Vite)
Possession: TOR 57% - VAN 43%
Shots: TOR 10 - VAN 17
Shots on Goal: TOR 3 - VAN 8
Saves: TOR 6 - VAN 2
Fouls: TOR 12 - VAN 10
Offsides: TOR 0 - VAN 1
Corners: TOR 3 - VAN 5
32’ – VAN – Sebastian Berhalter
60’ – VAN – Pedro Vite
76’ – TOR – Raoul Petretta
87’ – VAN – Javain Brown
Toronto FC30.Tomas Romero; 19.Kobe Franklin (7.Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty 67'), 17.Sigurd Rosted, 4.Michael Bradley ©, 28.Raoul Petretta; 5.Franco Ibarra (11.Latif Blessing 67'), 52.Alonso Coello (8.Víctor Vázquez 80'), 21.Jonathan Osorio (27.Shane O'Neill 79'); 10.Federico Bernardeschi, 29.Deandre Kerr (9.CJ Sapong 79'), 24.Lorenzo Insigne
Substitutes not used
90.Luka Gavra, 6.Aimé Mabika, 23.Brandon Servania, 81.Themi Antonoglou
Vancouver Whitecaps FC18.Yohei Takaoka; 2.Mathías Laborda, 4.Ranko Veselinović, 6.Tristan Blackmon; 16.Sebastian Berhalter (45.Pedro Vite 58'); 7.Richie Laryea (28.Levonte Johnson 90'+1), 8.Alessandro Schöpf (31.Russell Teibert 90'+1), 22.Ali Ahmed, 27.Ryan Raposo (23.Javain Brown 80'); 24.Brian White, 25.Ryan Gauld ©
32.Isaac Boehmer, 11.Junior Hoilett, 12.Karifa Yao, 26.J.C. Ngando, 29.Simon Becher