Vancouver Whitecaps FC and
announced on Friday the launch of new ‘ugly Christmas sweater’ face masks that nod to the city’s sea animals, soccer club and upcoming holiday season.
Buy your Whitecaps FC 'ugly Christmas sweater' face mask and support the Vancouver Aquarium at vanaquashop.org!
’Tis the season for ugly sweaters – and the nicest ugly masks on the market. While you may fancy your face beautiful, the socially responsible thing to do these days is to wear a mask. So why not wear a mask to match that ugly sweater?
The three limited-edition designs are part of Whitecaps FC’s ongoing campaign to sell exclusive high-performance, locally manufactured athletic face masks, with all net proceeds benefitting the not-for-profit aquarium and its parent organization Ocean Wise.
Due to the pandemic, and limits on gathering numbers, the Vancouver Aquarium was not able to operate in a financially viable way. In September, public programming at the Vancouver Aquarium was paused to reduce costs. The Board is now focused on a path forward that will be financially viable while accelerating the mission of ocean conservation. Fundraising by Whitecaps FC and other community partners continues to help Ocean Wise provide the aquarium’s animals with the highest possible care.
“The holidays are always an important time to help those in need – and our beloved Vancouver Aquarium still needs our support,” said Axel Schuster, chief executive officer of Vancouver Whitecaps FC. “We continue to ask all Vancouverites to support the fundraising campaign to ensure that the 70,000 animals who live at the aquarium get the expert care they need.”
“We are so grateful to the Vancouver Whitecaps, and to everyone who has supported the facemask fundraiser," said Mackenzie Neale, director of animal care at the Vancouver Aquarium. “With ticket sales, café and gift shop revenue all but eliminated right now, the facemask fundraiser is part of what is keeping the Vancouver Aquarium going during the pandemic. On behalf of all the animals at the Vancouver Aquarium, thank you.”
The Whitecaps FC x Vancouver Aquarium holiday face masks are available for order at
while quantities last. Adult masks are available for $19.99 and kid's masks for $17.99, plus tax and shipping. All net proceeds from the sales will benefit the Vancouver Aquarium and Ocean Wise Conservation Association.
- Performance moisture-wicking fabric
- Breathable, reusable and washable
- Stretchy ear-loop for maximum comfort
- Strong double needle stitching internal sleeve pouch allowing you to insert a filter of your choice
- Masks comply with Chief Public Health Officer of Canada Dr. Theresa Tam’s recommendation regarding three-layer masks where a filter can be added
- Made in Canada
- Small: Mask 7 x 5 inches with 3-inch ear loop
- Medium: Mask 7 ½ x 5 ½ inches with 4-inch ear loop
- Large: Mask 8 x 6 inches with 5-inch ear loop
- This product is non-medical and does not replace N95 or other medical grade masks.
- Wearing a non-medical mask in the community has not been proven to protect the person wearing it. However, the use of a non-medical mask or facial covering can be an additional measure you can take to protect others around you.
- Face masks or facial coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
- Wearing a non-medical mask when in public or other settings is not a replacement for following proven measures such as hand washing and physical distancing.