The Whitecaps FC BMO MLS Boys Academy have learned their opponents for the 2023 Generation adidas Cup to be played at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida from April 1-9.
The U-17s will be in Group 2 alongside their academy counterparts from fabled English club Manchester United, as well as MLS Eastern Conference clubs Columbus Crew and DC United.
- April 1 vs. Manchester United (11:30 a.m. PT)
- April 2 vs. Columbus Crew (11:30 a.m. PT)
- April 3 vs. DC United (11:30 a.m. PT)
The U-15s are in Group 7 with Belgian powerhouse club KRC Genk, as well as MLS clubs Chicago Fire FC and LA Galaxy.
- April 1 vs. Chicago Fire FC (8:30 a.m. PT)
- April 2 vs. LA Galaxy (8:30 a.m. PT)
- April 3 vs. KRC Genk (8:30 a.m. PT)
How to watch
MLS Season Pass will showcase 28 Generation adidas Cup games, including championship matches in both divisions. These games will be available in more than 100 countries and regions as part of the unprecedented subscription service from Apple and Major League Soccer on the Apple TV app.
Additional Generation adidas Cup broadcast details, including the schedule of games featured, will be announced in advance of the tournament.
- 40 teams, divided into 10 groups of four, will compete in each of the two age divisions.
- MLS club seeding was determined by Generation adidas Cup Qualifiers at MLS NEXT Fest in December 2022.
- Each team will play three group matches to determine qualification for the knockout round.
- 16 teams will qualify for the winner’s side of the draw with winning teams advancing to play in a bracket-style elimination format.
- MLS NEXT club Strikers FC (Irvine, Calif.) will also participate in the U-17 division.
- All teams competing in Generation adidas Cup are guaranteed to play seven 60-minute matches, comprised of two 30-minute halves.
After the tournament, awards will be presented in both age groups to the Generation adidas Cup Most Valuable Player and Top Scorer, as well as the Generation adidas Cup Best Goalkeeper presented by Allstate.
The Generation adidas Cup Rising XI presented by BODYARMOR will highlight the top-performing MLS academy players from each position at the competition.
MLS NEXT Match Evaluator Program
At the 2023 Generation adidas Cup, MLS NEXT is collaborating with U.S. Soccer to lead a specialized Talent ID and Scouting pilot course which will be made available through the MLS NEXT Match Evaluator Program. Upon successful completion of this pilot course, MLS NEXT Match Evaluators will be issued a Level 2 US Soccer Talent Scout License.
Launched in the summer of 2023, the MLS NEXT Match Evaluator Program has hosted former and current professional players who are interested in learning more about scouting and player analysis in the MLS NEXT landscape. Match Evaluators take part in education programming and are given scouting assignments at various MLS NEXT events.
Coaching education opportunities at Generation adidas Cup
Major League Soccer, in conjunction with the United States Soccer Federation (USSF) Coaching Education Department, will deliver two in-person coaching education opportunities at Generation adidas Cup. The MLS Coaching Education Development Pathway, led by U.S. Soccer Director of Coaching Education Didier Chambaron, will help to further educate nearly 60 MLS academy coaches who have the intention of becoming USSF coaching license educators in the future.
MLS will also provide additional development opportunities to coaches in the MLS NEXT community through Continuing Professional Development (C.P.D). These educational sessions will be led by MLS Vice President of Player Development Fred Lipka, MLS Player Development consultant and former French National Technical Director Jean-Claude Giuntini, U.S. Soccer Director of Coaching Education Didier Chambaron, and several MLS academy coaches and Elite Formation Coaching License graduates.