Reuters UK &

Reuters UK & PA Sport - Chelsea claimed a controversial draw at Liverpool, while Manchester City made it three wins out of three after beating arch-rivals Manchester United on Sunday. Tottenham Hotspur claimed their first win of the season on Saturday. Sunday LIVERPOOL 1-1 CHELSEA Jose Mourinho and Rafael Benitez were involved in a verbal spat on Sunday after Chelsea held Liverpool to a 1-1 draw at Anfield. Chelsea got a barely deserved point when referee Rob Styles awarded them a second half penalty after Florent Malouda fell into the unlucky Steve Finnan. Frank Lampard converted the spot kick in the 62nd minute to cancel out Fernando Torres' well-taken first-half goal, scored on his home debut. MANCHESTER CITY 1-0 MANCHESTER UNITED Manchester United's stuttering start to the defence of the Premier League title became a full-blown slump on Sunday when they were beaten 1-0 by Manchester City. The win, courtesy of Geovanni's 31st minute shot, left Sven-Goran Eriksson's City top of the league with a maximum nine points and looking down on their rivals, who languish just above the bottom three with two points. It is United's worst start to a Premier League season since 1992 when they managed only one point from their opening three matches. It is also the worst start by any defending champion. BLACKBURN ROVERS 1-1 ARSENAL A goalkeeping error by Jens Lehmann cost Arsenal two points at Ewood Park in a 1-1 draw. Robin van Persie scored a messy opener for the Gunners after 18 minutes when Rovers failed to clear the ball. After 72 minutes David Dunn fired in a shot from 25 metres, which slipped through Lehmann's hands. Ryan Nelsen was sent off late on for Blackburn. Saturday BIRMINGHAM CITY 0-1 WEST HAM UNITED Matthew Upson had the last laugh on the Birmingham boo-boys, as Mark Noble's second-half penalty secured victory for The Hammers. Upson, skippering the side in the absence of Lucas Neill, received a hostile reception on his first return to St. Andrews since his £6 million January move to Upton Park. But Noble ensured Alan Curbishley's side regained their pride after the home reversal by Manchester City with a 68th minute spot-kick after Blues goalkeeper Colin Doyle was adjudged to have brought down Craig Bellamy. FULHAM 1-2 MIDDLESBROUGH Mido celebrated his Middlesbrough debut by helping the Teessiders to their first points of the season with an equalizer that will cause Tony Warner plenty of sleepless nights. Boro's defence went missing for Fulham's opener on 16 minutes, scored by Brian McBride who suffered a dislocated left kneecap and suspected fracture while scoring. Lee Cattermole completed Boro's comeback with an 88th-minute winner, although Fulham striker David Healy was denied an injury-time equalizer when the officials failed to spot his ball had crossed the line. NEWCASTLE UNITED 0-0 ASTON VILLA Newcastle United moved into the top six but failed to spark in a dismal late kickoff against Aston Villa. Defender David Rozehnal came closest for Newcastle in manager Sam Allardyce's first home game in charge while the biggest cheer of the day was for Michael Owen's introduction as a second-half substitute. Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper needed to make saves at point-blank range from Gabriel Agbonlahor in the first half before brilliantly tipping a Nigel Reo-Coker effort around the post on the hour mark. PORTSMOUTH 3-1 BOLTON WANDERERS Portsmouth's Nigerian Super Eagles landed their first Barclays Premier League win of the season, as new Bolton boss Sammy Lee suffered another blow with his side's third consecutive defeat. Nicolas Anelka gave Lee a flying start with an early strike but three minutes later Kanu, making his first start of the season, struck his first goal to equalize. The former Arsenal striker set up Nigerian team-mate John Utaka to speed through for a second on the half hour before Matt Taylor clinched the points four minutes from time from the penalty spot after Kanu had been brought down by Gerald Cid. READING 1-0 EVERTON Andy Johnson will be hoping for better luck with England next week after spurning a golden late chance to rescue a point for Everton, who lost their 100 per cent record at Reading. Johnson looked lively enough against a determined Reading side, but when his big moment came in the 85th minute, the former Crystal Palace marksman was out of luck, his close-range effort hitting the inside of the post after James McFadden had chipped the ball against the bar. Everton, though, never really did enough to have merited a third straight league win, and Reading were good value for their first three points of the season, claimed courtesy of Stephen Hunt's neat finish late in the first half. TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 4-0 DERBY COUNTY Tottenham Hotspur ended their dismal first week of the season on a high, sweeping aside Derby County to ease any pressure that was on boss Martin Jol. Consecutive defeats had seen Spurs hit bottom of the table, but Steed Malbranque's early brace and another from Jermaine Jenas virtually assured the victory before the break. Darren Bent's first goal for the club sealed the win to get Spurs' campaign up and running, the comfortable victory earning them their first points of the season. WIGAN ATHLETIC 3-0 SUNDERLAND Wigan Athletic's Emile Heskey and Antoine Sibierski proved too hot to handle at the JJB Stadium, as they guided The Latics to a 3-0 Barclays Premier League win over Sunderland. The new strike pair caused the Sunderland defence no end of problems, as Wigan followed up their midweek home victory over Middlesbrough with another convincing performance. Heskey gave the home side a 19th-minute lead with a predatory strike before two penalties in nine minutes midway through the second half by Denny Landzaat and then Sibierski sealed Wigan's second win in four days.