Fan voting is underway for the 2016 MLS All-Star Game.
A total of 160 players are included in the fan ballot (eight per team), as selected by members of the media around the league. The Vancouver Whitecaps FC players on the ballot are goalkeeper David Ousted, centre backs Tim Parker and Kendall Waston, midfielders Christian Bolaños, Matias Laba and Pedro Morales, and forwards Kekuta Manneh and Blas Pérez.
The MLS All-Stars will face English Premier League club Arsenal FC on Thursday, July 28 at San Jose’s Avaya Stadium (4:30 p.m. PT on TSN).
Fan voting runs until July 4.
David Ousted (GK): Leads MLS in saves (54) and saves from inside the box (35), including a PK stop and seven MLS Save of the Week nominations.
Tim Parker (CB): Tied for the league-lead with 72 clearances, fourth in blocks (12). Also tied for the team lead in interceptions (27). Only one MLS outfield player has more minutes this season.
Kendall Waston (CB): Tied for the league lead with 42 headed clearances, fourth in blocks (12). Has one goal on the season.
Christian Bolaños (M): Tied for second on the ‘Caps with four goals and two assists.
Matias Laba (M): Third in MLS with 47 tackles. Leads the ‘Caps in successful passes, duels won, and recoveries. Also tied for the team-lead in interceptions.
Pedro Morales (M): Leads Whitecaps FC with six goals and three assists. Voted Whitecaps FC Player of the Month for March.
Kekuta Manneh (F): Tied for second on the ‘Caps with four goals and two assists. MLS Player of the Week for Week 11.
Blas Pérez (F): Has two goals and one assist, including an incredible bicycle kick that earned MLS Goal of the Week honours.
*Stats as of May 25, 2016
Ten players – one goalkeeper, three defenders, four midfielders and two forwards – with the highest combined votes will be named to the All-Star Fan XI.
The 11th player – a forward – will be determined by the AT&T/EA SPORTS™ “More Than a Vote” Challenge. Fans have the opportunity to vote one forward into the 2016 AT&T MLS All-Star Game by scoring goals in EA SPORTS FIFA 16 on Xbox One, PlayStation®4, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.
The forward with the most votes – one goal equals one vote – on July 4 will occupy the final forward spot on the All-Star Fan XI.
A total of 32 All-Stars are named each year, per the collective bargaining agreement. Media, fans, players, the All-Star coach, Dominic Kinnear of San Jose Earthquakes, and MLS Commissioner Don Garber all contribute in the All-Star selection process.
The 32 players named 2016 AT&T MLS All-Stars will be selected in four phases:
- Ballot creation: Media members determined the field of players – eight players per team – who are most deserving of consideration for this year’s AT&T MLS All-Star Game. Those players are eligible for fan voting.
- Fan voting: From May 26 through July 4, fans will select the “Fan XI” All-Stars. Fans can vote at MLSsoccer.com beginning May 26.
- Via the AT&T / EA SPORTS “More than a Vote” Challenge: fans will score as many goals as possible with their favorite MLS All-Star forward candidate in FIFA 16, with one goal equaling one vote. The forward with the most votes will occupy one of the forward spots on the All-Star Fan XI.
- Team selection: The MLS All-Star head coach will select the gameday roster from the pool of eligible players, consisting of the Fan XI, MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s two selections and players who received votes from at least two players.
The Commissioner selections and gameday roster will be announced at a later date.
- Player selections: MLS players will determine the remainder of the 32 All-Stars named annually per the CBA (known as the “inactive roster”).
Last year, the MLS All-Stars defeated Tottenham Hotspur FC 2-1 in the summer showcase – Ousted kept a second-half clean sheet in the victory.
Be a part of the best sporting atmosphere in Vancouver! Whitecaps FC offer a flexible range of ticket products, including Half-Season Packs, 5-Packs, a Youth Soccer Half-Season Ticket, and single match tickets. For more information, visit whitecapsfc.com/tickets.