- With his assist, Ryan Gauld now has the most goal contributions in MLS since May 31 with 22 (11 goals and 11 assists)
- In all competitions, Gauld now has 28 goal contributions (12 goals and 16 assists)
- After three more goals, Whitecaps FC tied their most scored in an MLS season with 54, hitting the mark from the 2018 season
- Brian White scored his 15th goal of the MLS season, the second most goals scored for Whitecaps FC in an MLS season behind only Camilo Sanvezzo’s golden boot season in 2013. White has 19 goals in all competitions
- White is tied for the most non-penalty goals in MLS with 15 alongside LAFC’s Denis Bouanga and Atlanta’s Giorgos Giakoumakis
- White has now scored in four consecutive matches, and has seven goals and two assists in his last nine MLS appearances
- Richie Laryea scored his first goal for Whitecaps FC, and his third goal of the 2023 MLS season
- Sam Adekugbe recorded his first assist since returning to Whitecaps FC
- Sebastian Berhalter scored his second goal of the MLS season
- Ranko Veselinović recorded his second assist of the MLS season
- The 'Caps kept their seventh clean sheet of the MLS season, and first since August 30 at Chicago Fire
VANCOUVER, BC – It was a monumental night at BC Place on Wednesday, as Vancouver Whitecaps FC clinched their place in the 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs with a convincing 3-0 victory over Western Conference leaders St. Louis CITY SC.
- Playoff Ticket Information: Sign-up for the pre-sale
Whitecaps FC would put the pressure on St. Louis right from the off, getting two early corners in the opening five minutes. Brian White would come close to opening the scoring in the eighth minute, with a blocked Ryan Gauld pass falling perfectly for White to try to curl past Ben Lundt, but instead would curl past the post.
Gauld would have another chance just a few minutes later with his clever chip from inside the box just charting off course. The Gauldfather would continue to put on another clinic on the night, nearly finding his other half in the 16th minute with a scintillating ball across the box, but it would be cleared before reaching White.
Gauld would test his luck from distance in the 30th minute, lacing one with power that rose over the bar. He would have an acrobatic effort go into the St. Louis net later on in the 38th minute, but it would be scratched off due to an offside. The ‘Caps would have one last glorious chance at the end of the half, with the dynamic duo of White and Gauld nearly producing the goods. Ryan Raposo would release Gauld with a fantastic ball in behind, but the Scot’s pass across for White to tap in was just overhit and agonizingly skipped past the ‘Caps’ leading scorer.
St. Louis would roar back to life in the second half, with substitute Aziel Jackson’s volley inside the box forcing Yohei Takaoka into a super save. But the 'Caps would not be subdued, and would get their crucial go-ahead goal in the 59th minute. Ranko Veselinović would clear a ball into St. Louis’ half, right to his red-hot striker. White would then run the length of the opposition’s half before dinking it past Lundt to get his 15th goal of the MLS season, two behind the golden boot lead.
Tristan Blackmon would nearly double the ‘Caps’ lead in the 70th minute, as Ryan Gauld would find him alone at the back post. His downward header would be met with an exceptional save by Lundt, who would dive down and clear it off the line.
Later, substitute Sam Adekugbe would feed Brian White in the 78th minute with a superb chipped pass, one that White would take down with his chest and fire on the volley, forcing Lundt into another spectacular save.
But it would be none other than Gauld who would create Whitecaps FC’s second of the night in the 82nd minute. Gauld would find Sebastian Berhalter with acres of space at the edge of the box, and Berhalter would curl a stunning strike past Lundt and into the side-netting.
Richie Laryea would end the contest at the death, scoring in the sixth minute of added time to make it 3-0. Adekugbe would square it to Laryea in the box, and the Canadian international would touch it past his defender and lace into the back of the net for his first goal for the ‘Caps. That would be all she wrote as the referee would call full-time.
Whitecaps FC are back in action this coming Saturday, September 7 as they take on Cascadian rivals Seattle Sounders FC across the border at 7:30 p.m. PT, available to watch on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV and to listen on AM730. The ‘Caps are back at BC Place for a crucial Decision Day match against defending MLS Cup champions LAFC on October 21 at 6 p.m. PT. For tickets, visit whitecapsfc.com/tickets.
VWFC GE Appliances Player of Quality: Brian White
Referee: Pierre-Luc Lauziere
59’ – VAN – Brian White (Ranko Veselinović)
82’ – VAN – Sebastian Berhalter (Ryan Gauld)
90’+6 – VAN – Richie Laryea (Sam Adekugbe)
Possession: VAN 54.8% - STL 45.2%
Shots: VAN 19 - STL 6
Shots on Goal: VAN 7 - STL 2
Saves: VAN 2 - STL 4
Fouls: VAN 8 - STL 15
Offsides: VAN 1 - STL 3
Corners: VAN 9 - STL 2
42’ – STL – Eduard Löwen
79’ – VAN – Ryan Gauld
Vancouver Whitecaps FC18.Yohei Takaoka; 23.Javain Brown (2.Mathías Laborda 86’), 4.Ranko Veselinović, 6.Tristan Blackmon; 20.Andrés Cubas (16.Sebastian Berhalter 51’); 27.Ryan Raposo (3.Sam Adekugbe 71’), 8.Alessandro Schöpf (45.Pedro Vite 71’), 22.Ali Ahmed, 7.Richie Laryea; 24.Brian White, 25.Ryan Gauld © (11.Junior Hoilett 86’)
32.Isaac Boehmer, 26.J.C. Ngando, 29.Simon Becher, 31.Russell Teibert
St. Louis CITY SC
39.Ben Lundt; 2.Jake Nerwinski, 26.Tim Parker, 15.Josh Yaro, 13.Anthony Markanich; 8.Josh Stroud (19.Indiana Vassilev 71’), 6.Njabulo Blom (12.Célio Pompeu 79’), 10.Eduard Löwen, 7.Tomás Ostrák (25.Aziel Jackson 45’); 11.Niko Gioacchini (29.Nokkvi Thórinsson 71’), 16.Sam Adeniran (9.João Klauss 63’)
Substitutes not used
1.Roman Bürki, 20.Akil Watts, 22.Kyle Hiebert, 23.Jonathan Bell