David Ousted may not be the 2015 MLS Goalkeeper of the Year – it was announced today that he finished second in voting. But he’s still a really, really good goalkeeper. One of the best in the league, no doubt. And as you can see below, he’s also a really, really interesting dude.
Here are 10 things you need to know about Vancouver Whitecaps FC’s star keeper.
1. OH-STED: Let’s start with the pronunciation of his last name. You’ve probably heard several different variations of it. I know I have. Well, it’s time to set the record straight. It’s pronounced “Oh-sted.” Not “Oo-sted.” Not “Ow-sted.” That comes right from the horse’s mouth.
2. SCRATCH GOLFER: Ousted is a good golfer. Like really good. Last year, he shot a 76 when the ‘Caps were in Arizona for preseason. It wasn’t his best round.
3. BOOK WORM: If you follow Whitecaps FC on any of our social media channels, you’ve probably come across a photo of Ousted with a book. He’s an avid reader. Ken Follett is one of his favourite authors. “I love to read,” Ousted said. “It’s relaxing and it’s nice to sometimes not be looking at an iPad or a TV or whatever.”
4. IF HE WASN’T A SOCCER PLAYER: And if he wasn’t a golfer … Ousted would “like to be a writer.” Before he moved to Vancouver, he was even writing his own book. Just for fun.
5. THE FIGHT AGAINST CANCER: About eight years ago, Ousted lost his mother to what was believed to be a form of lung cancer. Ousted, who was working in another part of the country at the time, said the worst part was that he wasn’t able to say a proper goodbye. “Around Christmas time she told us she was going for treatment and end of February she was gone already,” he said. “I was planning to visit on the Saturday and on Friday sadly she passed away. That was a really hard blow for me.”
6. TREASURED POSSESSION: Ousted says his most treasured possession is a letter his mom wrote to him a couple days before she passed away. He keeps it in a safe in his house and reads it every once in a while with his family.
7. FAMILY MAN: Speaking of family, Ousted and his wife Maria have three kids – a daughter and twin boys who were born in April of last year.
8. DANISH INSPIRATION: Growing up, Ousted idolized Manchester United legend Peter Schmeichel, a fellow Dane. These days, however, he enjoys watching Bayern Munich keeper Manuel Neuer. “He’s so special in the way he moves and the way he does things that I don’t think you can copy him, you can just enjoy watching him play.”
9. IN THE HISTORY BOOKS: Earlier this season, Ousted became just the third goalkeeper in MLS history to save two penalty kicks in one game. They both came off 2014 MLS Golden Boot winner Bradley Wright-Phillips.
10. IRON MAN: Ousted made his debut for Whitecaps FC on August 3, 2013 – and he hasn’t missed an MLS game since. His ironman streak currently stands at 84 matches (including playoffs).
Be a part of the best sporting atmosphere in Vancouver! 2016 Whitecaps FC Season Tickets are on sale from $39/month all in. In addition to Season Tickets, Whitecaps FC offer a flexible range of ticket products, including Half-Season Packs, 5-Packs, a Youth Soccer Half-Season Ticket, and single match tickets. For more information, visit whitecapsfc.com/tickets.