Vancouver Whitecaps FC kick off the 2018 Major League Soccer regular season against Montreal Impact this Sunday at BC Place (limited tickets still available). Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. PT, but fans are encouraged to arrive early to avoid large crowds and take part in the pre-match festivities, which begin at 1:30 p.m. PT. Here are some of the new items you can expect on Sunday.
- Happy Hour: $5 beers will be sold via hawkers in the supporters' section stands (sections 248-207) in the hour prior to kickoff (2 to 3 p.m. on Sunday). Make sure to get into the building early to take advantage of this great deal (offer only available to those with tickets in the supporters' section).
- Opening presentation: The largest and most ambitious game presentation update the club has undertaken since moving into BC Place in 2012. The completely redesigned procession features state of the art effects, a brand-new team intro video, player walkout from the supporters’ section, and more. Make sure to be in your seat early so you're not missing out on the new opening!
- Videoboard presentation: The club has completely redesigned every videoboard production element along with a substantial update to the layout of the LED Ribbon board to create one of the most sophisticated presentations in MLS.
- Ford Family Zone: Sections 224 to 231 will now become the Ford Family Zone during ‘Caps matches at BC Place. Parents and kids are encouraged to stop by the ‘Caps Clubhouse presented by Ford in the concourse area at section 231, where they can participate in games and colouring while making their own signs or borrow flags to show their support in the stands. There will also be games pre-match outside at Gate C – the direct entrance to the Ford Family Zone.
- Kid Captain of the Match: The ‘Caps have teamed up with its supporters’ groups to honour a “Kid Captain” prior to each match this year. The first Kid Captain will be 16-year-old Taylin McGill, a true BC Children’s Hospital success story who has overcome 14 brain surgeries. McGill will also be introduced as part of Vancouver’s starting XI on the videoboard prior to kickoff. Make sure to give her a big round of applause! A different fan will be included in the ‘Caps starting XI for each home match this season.
- 50/50 credit and debit card option: Fans will now have the option to purchase 50/50 tickets by credit card, debit, or cash. The jackpot for Sunday’s match will start at $56,060 after a rollover from 2017.
- New games at ‘Caps Kickoff: Fans of all ages are invited show their support for the 'Caps at this fun pre-match event running from 1:30 to 2:45 p.m. PT on Terry Fox Plaza, featuring fun games, activities, and entertainment.
- Marching band: Make sure to be in your seats before the start of the second half as the Whitecaps Marching Band welcomes the ‘Caps back onto the pitch! They will also perform pre-match at ‘Caps Kickoff on Terry Fox Plaza.
- Bike Valet: Now located at the bottom of the staircase in front of Gate C on Griffiths Way.
- Water bottle policy: Empty, refillable soft walled plastic water bottles with lids are permitted into the stadium and are subject to search at the gate. Please note that hard-walled water bottles are NOT permitted into the stadium. Bottles can be filled at drinking fountains located on the main concourse. Bottled water can also be purchased from concessions.
- Bag policy: As per last year, the bag policy remains in effect. In compliance with MLS policy, no bags larger than 14’’x14’’x6’’ will be permitted into the stadium and must fit into the sizing bin available at each gate.
Southsiders March to the Match: This year, there will be a new route for the Vancouver Southsiders March to the Match, departing from Victory Square at Hamilton and West Pender on Sunday at 1:45 p.m. - with special guest march leader Carl Valentine! Follow the Vancouver Southsiders on Twitter and Facebook for all the latest information.
For more information, including bag policy, parking information, and accessibility requirements, make sure to check out our complete spectator guide.
See you in the stands!