The Director, Legal is a key member of the Legal department, and will report to the General Counsel (Executive Committee Member for G&A), supporting a broad range of legal and compliance matters.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide thorough and timely legal and business counsel to all departments in the Club.
- Draft, review, negotiate and advise on a wide range of commercial agreements including in the areas of sponsorship, events, ticketing, technology, marketing, licensing and third-party vendors.
- Review and assist in drafting agreements, manuals, policies, and procedures for employees, staff, and players (e.g., employee handbook, compliance policies, independent contractor agreements, etc.).
- Understand the Club and its current and future business in order to identify and mitigate risks, develop solutions and negotiate effectively
- Understand and advise on all Club agreements related to all properties, owned, leased or managed by the Club
- Advise on the implementation of promotions, contests, and activations.
- Draft and update a wide variety of contract templates for use by internal stakeholders.
- Draft, review and manage waivers and releases for various events and programs.
- Develop a deep understanding of Club’s risk mitigation and insurance practices; assist with insurance matters in coordination with the Club’s Manager, Strategic Process & Administration
- Ensure compliance with privacy and data protection matters.
- Analyze, monitor and advise on relevant League rules, regulations, directives, and governance documents
- Advise on intellectual property matters
- Research various legal issues and provided written and verbal opinions as needed.
- Facilitate the day-to-day operations and workload of an in-house Legal Department, and identify opportunities to improve business processes and devise plans to implement changes.
- Liaise with MLS and outside counsel, as required
- 4+ years of progressively responsible experience as a corporate-commercial lawyer.
- Licensed to practice (or can become licensed to practice) law in British Columbia.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, with the ability to break down complex concepts and clearly frame issues for non-lawyers.
- Demonstrated experience in contract drafting and negotiating.
- Project management skills necessary to develop strategies and collaborate effectively to ensure projects are executed to completion in a timely and effective manner
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the Club
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective listener, with the ability to build strong internal and external relationships at all levels.
- High degree of personal integrity, professional ethics and sound judgment, with the ability to practice a high level of confidentiality and discretion
- Ability to build consensus and work well within a team environment
- Ability to manage and appropriately prioritize a large workload effectively and efficiently
- Adept at independently managing multiple projects, shifting deadlines, and changing initiatives
Vancouver Whitecaps FC believes that diversity and inclusion is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This includes but is not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our People & Culture department.
Vancouver Whitecaps FC provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. If you are interested in applying, please apply for the role using the link: Director, Legal
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. No recruiters or agencies, please.