Position Title: Academy Assistant Physical Preparation Coach Internship
Location: National Soccer Development Centre (UBC), Vancouver, BC
Terms: Part-time, Term
The Whitecaps FC mission is To Unite and Inspire Our Communities both on and off the pitch. We are calling for new team players who are interested in developing a career in the sports industry and want to contribute to the Vancouver Whitecaps culture.
The Academy Assistant Physical Preparation Coach Internship helps support the Academy Lead PPC in the implementation and delivery of the WFC Development Pathway to ensure academy athletes achieve an elite-level of fitness and physical performance.
This internship is 11 months in length, with distinct learning objectives at each stage, culminating in a capstone project. The schedule will include approximately 35 hours per week.
- Communicate and collaborate regularly with the Head of Physical Preparation, the Academy Lead PPC, Academy coaches and departments (i.e. - Player Care, Data Science, Coaching, Player Development) to ensure an integrated process of player development, care and performance
- Implement safe and effective strength and conditioning programs for Academy players, that is in line with the Club’s development pathway, under the supervision of the Academy Lead PPC
- Lead and supervise performance-training sessions
- Educate and counsel players regarding strategies to improve performance under the guidance of the Academy Lead PPC and line with WFC Development Pathway
- Communicate with the sports medicine staff regarding injured and/or rehabilitating players to modify and individualize strength and conditioning programs
- Run on field warm ups, conditioning sessions, and cool downs as needed
- Collecting, monitoring and processing training workload through use of tracking technologies
- Maintain the appearance and organization of equipment in weight room facility, as well as educate and enforce weight room rules
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills required to work effectively with players, coaches and other team personnel
- Exhibit and practice club culture and philosophy on all dealings with staff, coaches and athletes
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (C.S.C.S.) certification by the NSCA or Performance Enhancement Specialist (P.E.S.) certification by the NASM
- Current CPR/First Aid certification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Education, or related field. Master’s Degree in related field preferred
- Complete continuing education as required for recertification
- Previous work experience should be focused in training athletes and in performance conditioning
- Proven understanding in several of the following areas: building foundational training aspects, strength training, conditioning, mobility, injury prevention and nutrition
- Availability to work BC Place match days and other special events during the duration of the program
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and virtual meeting platforms (MS Teams, Zoom)
- There is not an option for remote work at this time
- The chance to work in a fun, non-traditional workplace that truly cares about people and communities
- First class facilities at the National Soccer Development Centre
- Training and support available to help develop your career
- Heavily discounted game day tickets
- Become involved with Vancouver’s most exciting sporting environment
Whitecaps FC believes that diversity and inclusion is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This includes but is not limited to people of color, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.
If you are interested in applying, please apply for the role using the link: Academy Assistant Physical Preparation Coach Internship
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
No recruiters or agencies, please.