Position Title: Performance Data Scientist
Location: National Soccer Development Centre (UBC), Vancouver, BC
Terms: Full-time, Permanent
We are looking for a new team member to join Vancouver Whitecaps FC in the position of Performance Data Scientist.
The Performance Data Scientist is responsible for facilitating performance-related data collection, management, analysis, and communication across the club, in accordance with the WFC Performance Strategy. This exciting role contributes to both the daily training environment and longer-term research & innovation projects, and touches on many performance domains, including first team football, scouting and recruitment, and player development.
- Assist with implementing data pipeline workflows for raw and summary data from optical tracking, football event data, wearable technology, and other available data sources
- Assist with developing and implementing football performance analysis/models that can inform decisions about scouting/recruitment, match analysis/review, player development, and opposition scouting
- Implement quality control and data best practices at all steps of the data pipeline for performance related data – data collection, data analysis, and data communication
- Work collaboratively with physical preparation and medical staff to collect appropriate data sets when required, including force plates, global positioning systems, and strength testing
- Work alongside coaches, staff, and players, in alignment with the WFC Performance Strategy
- Assist with analyses for internal and publishable research and innovation projects, as needed
- Support performance processes as needed
In addition to bringing a commitment to Vancouver Whitecaps FC vision and values, the ideal candidate will require degrees of demonstrated experience as follows:
- Undergraduate qualifications in one of the following areas: data science, applied sport science, information technology, epidemiology (with advanced data analysis), or biostatistics
- At least 2 years of experience in data science and/or applied sports science working in a high-performance sport or business environment (e.g. collegiate, national, or professional sport
- Ability to work with various data sources, platforms, and data science software. Coding proficiency with SQL, Python, and/or R
- Proficiency in data visualization and interactive dashboard creation through R, Python, Microsoft Power BI, and/or Tableau
- Understanding of data engineering and data pipeline construction, database management, data modeling, and data visualization/reporting
- Proficiency with querying REST APIs and working with several data formats (e.g. .json, .parquet, .xml)
- Proficient communication skills and ability to work across multiple teams within the organization
- Passionate about sport and human performance
- Demonstrated capacity to provide timely and relevant data processing
- Experience using the Microsoft software stack (Microsoft PowerApps, Power Automate, SharePoint Lists, SharePoint Sites) is an asset
- Experience with Snowflake and DataBricks is an asset
- Must complete a Vulnerable Sector Check and additional background screening
- Must successfully complete MLS Safe Sport training
- Must possess a passport and be able to freely travel internationally
- Ability to work non-standard work week, including early mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays
- The chance to work in a fun, non-traditional workplace that truly cares about people and communities
- First class facilities at the National Soccer Development Centre
- Training and support available to help develop your career
- 100% employer paid premiums for the extended health and dental plan
- Heavily discounted game day tickets
- Become involved with Vancouver’s most exciting sporting environment
Whitecaps FC believes that diversity and inclusion are critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This includes but is not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our People & Culture department.
If you are interested in applying, please apply for the role using the link: Performance Data Scientist
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
No recruiters or agencies, please.