VANCOUVER, BC – In their final match of their four-game homestand, Vancouver Whitecaps FC are set to begin their inaugural Leagues Cup campaign against LIGA MX side and defending champions Club León this Friday, July 21. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. PT. León are also the defending Concacaf Champions Cup winners, having defeated fellow Western Conference side Los Angeles FC in a two-legged final earlier this year.
- SPECTATOR INFO: No ties, info on supporters section, and more
- Catch all the action live for free on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV starting with the prematch show at 7:10 p.m. PT. The game will also be available on TSN and AM730 Vancouver Radio, with the radio pre-game show starting at 6:30 p.m. PT
Saturday's match will mark the first all-time meeting between the 'Caps and León. It'll mark the third time the 'Caps face a Mexican side in a competitive match, having previously played twice against Tigres UANL in a two-legged affair in the semifinals of the 2016/17 edition of the Concacaf Champions League.
- CHURR-ON THE 'CAPS: Canadianzed churro available at sections 222 and 249
- COLIN'S KEYS: How the 'Caps can beat the best team in the region
- LEAGUES CUP ROSTERS: 'Caps name 27-man roster for Leagues Cup
- WHO ARE CLUB LEÓN?: Get to know Friday's opponents, their key players, and much more
- TEAM OF THE MATCHDAY: Ryan Gauld named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 26
- WHITECAPS HOUSE: Whitecaps House returns to Hollywood Theatre for Canada's FIFA Women's World Cup opener
- TRIPLE J'S: Get to know Girls Elite Academy graduates & CANWNT stars Jordyn Huitema, Julia Grosso, and Jayde Riviere
- CUBAS EXTENSION: 'Caps sign Andrés Cubas to contract extension
- QUALITY TIME: Levonte Johnson shares his initial impressions of Vancouver & some insights into his future goals
- LEAGUE1 BC: Girls Elite soar into first place, men clinch playoff spot
- WFC2 FACE CRYSTAL PALACE: Whitecaps FC 2 to face Crystal Palace U-21 at MLS NEXT Pro Invitational
- BLOODLINES JERSEY: Get swagged up in the newest 'Caps kit
- 2023 CELEBRATION MATCHES: Secure your spot to one of our Celebration Matches this season
Club León vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Friday, July 21, 2023 – 7:30 p.m. PT
BC Place Stadium – Vancouver, BC
BROADCAST: MLS Season Pass, TSN1/5 - RADIO: AM730
Pre-match show: 7:10 p.m. PT (MLS Season Pass), 6:30 p.m. PT (AM730)
QUIET THE LIONS: Vancouver Whitecaps FC are set to take a one month break from MLS action to compete in the inaugural Leagues Cup 2023 tournament. The 'Caps open up the tournament against the 2023 Concacaf Champions League winners Club León from Mexico this Friday, July 21 at BC Place.
LEAGUES CUP EXPLAINED: The inaugural Leagues Cup 2023 will see all 29 MLS clubs and all 18 LIGA MX clubs compete in a World Cup-style tournament to crown the best team between the two leagues, with the eventual winner qualifying directly to the Concacaf Champions Cup Round of 16. The runners-up and third-placed teams in the tournament will also qualify for the Concacaf Champions Cup. Each club will play two group stage matches, with the top two teams from each group progressing to the Round of 32. Similar to MLS NEXT Pro, the tournament features a no ties rule meaning if the score is level after 90 minutes, the winner of a match will be decided by a shootout with kicks from the penalty mark. Each team will receive a point if the game finishes tied and the winner of the subsequent shootout will earn an additional point.
LIGHTNING QUICK: After their thrilling 4-2 victory over LA Galaxy during the weekend, the 'Caps have now scored a league-leading 15 goals in the first 30 minutes of a match in MLS play, two more than Eastern Conference side Atlanta United FC. In addition, the Blue and White are the only team in the league to score four goals in the first five minutes of a match this season.
MLS Season Pass
The 2023 season sees the debut of MLS Season Pass, the unprecedented subscription service from Apple and MLS that will have every match of the regular season, Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs, and Leagues Cup – all in one place and with no blackouts. As an exclusive benefit, Whitecaps FC 2023 Season Members will receive a subscription to MLS Season Pass on Apple TV, as well as significant savings over single match tickets.