VANCOUVER, BC – Following a three-week preseason camp in Marbella, Spain, Vancouver Whitecaps FC are back in action as they get set to begin their 2024 Concacaf Champions Cup campaign. The 'Caps face familiar foes and Liga MX side Tigres UANL in the first leg of their Round One matchup this Wednesday, February 7 at Starlight Stadium in Langford, BC. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. PT. You can catch the match live on OneSoccer, FuboTV, or Telus Channel 980.
The club announced on Monday it has unofficially changed the club's name to Vancouver Island Whitecaps FC until Wednesday night to embrace the local community. As part of the initiative, club avatars have been changed and limited-edition merchandise will be sold in stadium at the match.
- WFC2 CALL-UPS: WFC2 midfielders Jeevan Badwal, Jay Herdman signed to short-term agreements for Wednesday
- WELCOME BELAL: Whitecaps FC sign Canadian defender Belal Halbouni
- WELCOME BJØRN: Whitecaps FC sign Norwegian defender Bjørn Inge Utvik
- WELCOME FAFÀ: Whitecaps FC add new dimension to forward group, sign Fafà Picault
- WELCOME DAMIR: Whitecaps FC sign experienced midfielder Damir Kreilach
- GAULD EXTENSION: Whitecaps FC sign leading playmaker Ryan Gauld to contract extension through 2027
- BLACKMON EXTENSION: Whitecaps FC sign defender Tristan Blackmon to contract extension through 2027
- MLS ON TSN: Get the full breakdown on the 2024 MLS on TSN and RDS schedule
- LEAGUES CUP 2024: Whitecaps FC grouped with LAFC and Club Tijuana
- WFC2 SIGNS BADWAL: Whitecaps FC 2 sign 17-year-old, Surrey, BC native Jeevan Badwal to first professional contract
- eMLS SCHEDULE: MLS and EA Sports FC™ Pro reveal 2024 eMLS schedule
- MANITOBA SOCCER: Whitecaps FC and Manitoba Soccer Association extend player development partnership
- CONCACAF U-17 CHAMPIONSHIP: Four 'Caps called up to Canada for Concacaf Women's U-17 Championship
- 2024 CELEBRATION MATCHES: Come through to one of our 50th Anniversary Celebration Matches
- SINGLE MATCH TICKETS: Be part of our 50th Anniversary and secure your spot to a match at BC Place
Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Tigres UANL
2024 Concacaf Champions Cup – Round One, Leg One
Wednesday, February 7, 2023 – 7 p.m. PT
Starlight Stadium – Langford, BC
BROADCAST: Watch on OneSoccer, FuboTV, or Telus Channel 980
'CAPS ARE BACK: Vancouver Whitecaps FC are back in action as they begin their 2024 Concacaf Champions Cup campaign. The 'Caps, who are set to make their fourth appearance at the tournament, are coming off a three-week preseason camp in Marbella, Spain. The team played four friendlies against European clubs from Hungary, Serbia, and Norway. The Blue and White are now set to face LIGAMX opposition Tigres UANL in the first round of the tournament, hosting the first leg next Wednesday, February 7 at Starlight Stadium in Langford, BC. Tigres will then host the second leg on Wednesday, February 14 at Estadio Universitario in San Nicolas de los Garza, Mexico.
FAMILIAR FOES: Wednesday's clash will mark the fourth all-time meeting between the 'Caps and los Tigres. The teams first faced each other in the semifinals of the 2016/17 Concacaf Champions League with Tigres eventually won the two-match series 4-1 on aggregate. The sides also met last year in the Round of 32 of the Leagues Cup, with the 'Caps drawing 1-1 in regulation thanks to a stunner from Pedro Vite before narrowly falling in a shootout. This season, Tigres' roster features five players who played against the Blue and White back in 2017, including striker André-Pierre Gignac, winger Luis Quiñones, defensive midfielder Guido Pizarro, fullback Javier Aquino, and goalkeeper Nahuel Guzmán.
ROSTER UPDATES: On January 25, the club announced that leading playmaker Ryan Gauld agreed to a contract extension through 2027. The Scotsman's 60 goal contributions - 26 goals and 34 assists - are the most in the club's MLS era. Last Monday, defender Tristan Blackmon agreed to a contract extension through 2027, following a career-year in 2023 that saw him record 38 starts, 42 appearances, 36 interceptions, and three goals. On Tuesday, the 'Caps bolstered their defensive ranks as they added experienced Norwegian defender Bjørn Inge Utvik to the mix, signing him through 2025 with an option for 2026. Lastly, the club announced on Thursday that 17-year-old, Surrey, BC native Jeevan Badwal signed his first professional contract with Whitecaps FC 2 (WFC2). Badwal, who first joined the Whitecaps FC BMO Academy as a 13-year-old in 2019, became the 12th Canadian teenager to be signed to a professional contract since WFC2 began play in MLS NEXT Pro in 2022.